How do you motivate a depressed kid?

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 1:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Find the source of the depression and go from there, either professional help, but try to stay away from prescription pills.

Answer by older at 9:34 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Get them treatment. Nobody can motivate a depressed person - it has to come from them. You can support them, make sure they know you love them, and give them as many tools as possible to help them cope. But if you think you can motivate a depressed person, you are wasting your time and possibly making the situation worse by putting pressure on someone who already has a lot on their mind.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Well said! That is true. Treatment and sometimes medication. Good luck.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 5:14 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• You don't motivate, you help get therapy and medication.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:14 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• older, unless you are actually a person with depression, I advise you to keep your opinions about meds to yourself. They are a powerful tool that help many MANY of us lead normal productive lives every day. People like you, who keep negative stigma going about psychiatric medication, are a huge reason why so many people with mental illness refuse to try meds to make their lives better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• what getrealmama said
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Since my son is an adult.

I could only suggest therapy/counselling for him, I could only suggest that he seek outside help. I could only offer encouragement and support and advice ( advice if asked for it directly).....

Sadly, that's about it. Since my son is an adult, I can't actually do those things for him, or force him to do those things. He and only he can make the choice to do them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Medical and raisung there self esteem
    Redbird26

Answer by Redbird26 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010