Am I the only person who just doesn't understand this?

Over the past few years, I have known or known of so many people in high school who move in with their boyfriend or girlfriend. I just don't get that! I don't understand parents being ok with that at all. I'm not really a prude about things like sex. I know that I can't really keep my child from becoming sexually active (when she's older lol, she's 2 now), and I'm ok with that. Honestly, I think I would prefer my kid to have sex in the house instead of at a party or in the backseat of a car. Anyway, I just can not understand how parents are ok with their high school child to move in with their boyfriend or girlfriend. Then it confuses me even more when the girl ends up pregnant and all the parents completely freak out and wonder how it happened.

Can anyone explain this to me, please? I'm really not trying to be judgmental or anything like that, though it may seem that way. I just really want to understand this.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow, I have never heard of kids moving in together in high school. That COMPLETELY wigs me out. I guess my kids are going to think I'm a total prude! So be it! lol
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• some parents just don't steer the kids in the right direction and i don't mean push them to do what u want for them...but still im not okay with that either....i was 20 when i had my daughter mind u i was already in a military career and married...but unfortunately some parents don't care enough and when something bad happens they're like how did this happen...
    Andrea C.

Answer by Andrea C. at 1:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i dnt understand it either, in high school i knew this one girl 16 who was living w/her bf, at first i thought maybe her father isnt around to say anything about it, her mother must be a single mom, but no her dad was around n he let her. my df was going to let his dd ex come over a few weeks ago, i sd hell no, shes only 15 she has no business having her ex (or so she sd he was)over, maybe im old fashioned or just a strict mom, but hubby didnt think there was anything wrong w/it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I had no interest in getting so serious so young! I think if your kids have something good to look forward to, like college or a career, then they won't make stupid choices so young. Kids need to know how to stand on their own before they get serious with someone.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• There are a lot of parents out there that really don't care what and where there children are and even if they end up preggo or get someone preggo. My parents were very good parents and they worked a lot to make sure we had what we needed growing up but i will tell you i moved out at 15 and moved in with my boyfriend and his mom and I finished high school living there and got a job i made a choice to get out on my own and I have done well being on my own for the age that I made that choice. Know that i am 32 and have a family of my own i WOULD never allow my DD to move out and live with her BF at 15 yrs old, NEVER.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Their parents aren't necessarily OK with it. You can't stop them if it's what they want. I wouldn't be ok with it.

As an aside and TMI (lol) I managed to get through dating in high school without having sex. I had A LOT OF SELF CONFIDENCE and I'm hoping to impart that to my kids. Oddly enough I went on to marry my high school sweetheart....but not until I was 31. I was a virgin until I was 25 and my first (second, third, fourth...you get the idea) was NOT my husband.

Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• my mom didn't let me out the house much with friends and honestly it worked out for the best i think...
    Andrea C.

Answer by Andrea C. at 2:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think in those cases it's either the parents can't do anything to stop them (they will just run away and short of involving family services and the police there isn't much you can do) or they are trying to hard to be their kids BFF and not their parent.

My cousin let both her kids drop out of high school just because.  We were all shocked because when they were toddlers she was very involved in their lives and was the most strict of all my cousins with her kids.  Both were out of school at 16 and just doing whatever (dating, drinking, smoking, etc).  I just don't get it.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I agree that high school is a bit too young, but some parents now a days want to be done with their semi adult kids, and let someone else take over.

Answer by older at 9:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• my mom would have let me, she didnt care where i was. but i still waited until i was 18.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:10 AM on Sep. 26, 2010