Are Stride Rite shoes worth it for toddlers?

I'm really having a hard time justifying spending $50 for a pair of shoes for my 2-year-old. However, are they worth it? Is it "healthier" for his feet? I sometimes worry whether less expensive shoes (say, Circo brand from Target) are actually bad for his feet.

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 3:27 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No they are not. Our pedi told us that as long as they offer support, it doesn't matter what brand they are! Our son grew out of shoes faster then we could buy them and having his doctor tell us not to worry about brand name was a life saver!
    DoveMomma

Answer by DoveMomma at 5:52 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think they are, but then again I shop at an outlet store so I get them for like $15.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:11 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If you can get on sale then I am sure they are. We never bought any for our son, I could never find them cheap enough.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No they are not. My kids wore Target shoes----nothing expensive,,,and only outside, In doors,they went barefoot so their feet would become strong.They don't need "support"...that is a story the "stride rite" people try to sell us on.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm struggling with this myself. my son goes shoe-less inside but i need something for the outsifde. i was at a StrideRite outlet and they had clearance shoes for $19.99 and we didnt buy them because the were so expensive. I'm sure he'll grow out of them so fast. I hate spending alot of money on shoes for myself. I am going to look at Payless.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We have had a couple pair of stride rights... and of coarse we have had several pair of various brands (like Target or whatever)
    The stride rites are very well made and do last FOREVER. They will find the right fit for your child and then increase it by a size so there is room to grow. With my son's I only buy the ones that are on sale... so I paid $20... I bought my son his in January and he still has time to wear them... so they will last a year I'm sure. I think they are work $20... but I would never spend full price on them... $50 is way too much for a toddler shoe, you just never know how fast they will out grow them.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• That's the thing too - I just never know when my son will move up in size. And where we live, I can never seem to find any on sale for less than $30! (Although I haven't been in their outlet shops.) They do seem to be well-made though, which is why I'm always thinking of getting a pair.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• idk..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Well, I think the suport is a good thing. If nothing else they ARE well made and last. The outlet store is GREAT!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think they are ugly. I buy pumas, chucks, and new balances for my son.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010