Breastfeeding and smoking?

Do you think that smoking and breastfeeding is bad for your baby?

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 3:29 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Health

• Let me put it this way.  I quit smoking within 2 weeks of learning I was pregnant the first time.  I did not start back up again until well after my second was weaned.  I wasn't taking any chances!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:46 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Depending on when you smoke, the skin to skin contact is exposing your baby to third hand smoke, which is the residue left behind after smoking.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:30 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i'll go with YES.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• NO!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• They say you should wait 1hr after you smoke to BF. I have also heard that it is better to try anyways. You will find that if you do it will make it harder and you will probably stop on your own. Our your baby may not like the taste. I am no expert, ask a Dr or research it. Only listen to facts and professionals dont listen to other mothers saying yeah or nay!!! Dont base your decision on people that are not professionals. I dont know what to tell you.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 3:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm not a doctor, but I feel that you shouldn't smoke & breastfeed, it's not worth the chance especially when baby has to get so close
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 8:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Of course it is. If smoking is bad in general, it's bad in any case. Why anyone would subject their baby to the awful smell & deadly chemicals of cigarette smoke, is beyond me...
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm sure it is...it never stopped me....
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 4:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, it's bad! If you have to question it then it is. Smoking is bad period! Then you will smoke and feed the baby who will definitely be skin to skin with you. It's called second &/or third hand smoking depending on how and when you smoke. Might as well just smoke while you are breastfeeding because essentially that is what you are doing. That is not just my opinion but pure facts.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:43 AM on Sep. 26, 2010