another question about smoking??

I met a girl today she is 24 yrs old she is 5 mths preagnant and she smokes cigarrs like they were going some were...she said that it aint bad for the baby , but I have 3 kids of my own and I know that is bad...should I encourage her to stop it or just let her do her bizznes.

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 3:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Health

• Smoking is smoking no matter what you are smoking. There is absolutely nothing with smoking that is okay for you to continue. Cigars are just like cigarettes, they do the same harm to your body. I wouldn't of even hesitated to tell her my opinion and facts of what she is doing is utterly wrong, I stay out of people's business but when it comes to smoking and being pregnant or not it is not a necessity to live. She and baby will survive a lot longer without it. And her child will hopefully not be easily addicted to it or something worse as she/he grows up. She will not listen to a word you said, but it will make you feel better that you did say something if anything else. I couldn't get past it if I just let it go. Smokers make every excuse in the book to not have to quite. Even if they are pregnant or have kids.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 8:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• she's in denial. if you can convince her to stop, at least for the duration of her pregnancy, you'd be doing the baby a great service. however, you can't make her do anything she doesn't want to do.
    at least you'll know you tried. (if you get the chance to talk to her again, i take it she's not a close friend..you just met her today, right?)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:38 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If you dont know her to well she may not listen to you b/c you are probably not the 1st person to say something. If you are not a smoker or have never smoked she may never listen to you, honestly. Smokers dont feel like people that have never smoked understand. Nothing personal just what I know and have heard of.
    What you can do is try to get her to cut back. This may lead to trust which may lead to her quitting eventually. Go slow ease into it. She knows it is not good. Everybody knows. She had reasons listen to those and work from there. Good Luck.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 3:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• well its not good for the baby in side of her at all.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 3:55 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My sister in law was the same way!! For both of her pregnancies she smoked & she tried to tell me that the doctor said she'd be better off not quitting to avoid stressing the baby. Yea riiiight. I don't like to interfere with one's personal choices, but it's not only affecting her! The baby does not have a choice & she should quit. Hopefully you can talk with her & she'll realize that smoking is smoking no matter if it is cigarettes or cigars. She might not listen, but at least you know you tried. I don't understand why people think it's hard to quit, the minute I found out I was pregnant both times I quit cold turkey ... I started back up after (I regret it) Could you talk to her about cutting back & slowly quitting if she thinks she can't just quit? Or even if she could talk to her doctor about the risks, maybe that would make her realize.
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 8:12 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm in denial.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 4:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2010