Is there any way I can coax my son into talking?

He's three and I know he -can- talk, it's just that he refuses to. I worry that he's going to get behind in preschool and other activities because he won't talk. Does anyone else have this problem?

mbdc

Asked by mbdc at 4:01 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if you know he can talk just insist that he uses his words when he wants something, other than that outside of some major issues I would NOT make a big deal out of it... some kids are talkative and some are not... he may be shy or whatever and you don't want to make it a control thing.
    However, if you want something you need to ask me verbally or else I just can't understand you... I do that to my kids for spanish LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Does he talk? Is he shy? Does he talk when he needs to? Are the people around him the type that just babble on so he does not have a need or desire to say anything? Share more.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Do you do sign language with your son? Some think this is a good idea, but I know one mom that had to stop using sign language with her daughter because she refused to speak verbally.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 8:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• He says a few words all the time. He can usually repeat almost any word I say to him while I'm working with him (reading with him or using flashcards, etc.) That's how I know he can talk but whenever we're playing or just throughout the day, he will barely talk to me and always falls back on the few words he knows well. When we're out in public with family or friends he will barely talk at all.

I've thought about doing sign language with him and a few friends recommended it to me, but I honestly worry that he'd fall back on that like Penny's friend. I've been told not to worry because his dad didn't talk until he was 5 years old, but I worry that he might fall behind and to be perfectly honest, it gets really boring living with someone that refuses to talk to you! I have signed him up for speech therapy with the Jesse program through his preschool, I was just hoping there was another way I could coax him into
    mbdc

Comment by mbdc (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• talk to a pedi m/b she can help with a great therpist..my son was like that..OT help him open up thru group therapy for the last 2yrs..tho he doesnt talk much at school..he wont shut up at home now..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• try getting him out around other kids as much as possible.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:50 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son is 3.5 and he just recently started talking. He was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. The moment he started early intervention school, he started talking. He was around other kids hid age
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2010