did anyone have a problem with a cat and a newborn?

im due in 9 days and im kinda worried how the cat will react with the baby. he has been around babies before and kinda just stared at them but this time the baby will be around alot and im worried he will get jealous. plus someone told me that the cat can give a diesease to the baby where it effects the childs eyes and causes them to go blind. does anyone know about this?

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 1:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• All I can tell you is I got rid of a cat quick when my daughter was 5 weeks old. I walked in where she was napping in the bassinette and the cat was asleep on her chest her hair all up in her face. Cat was gone by 5 that day
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I've always had cats (4) and never had a problem with them as far as the babies were concerned.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I had a "challenged" cat (I don't know how to put this politically correct, but the cat was honestly and truthfully retarded from taking adult medicine as a kitten when I got him from the humane society...he was hopeless) and this cat would race around the house back and forth all day. It didn't bother me until I had my daughter and he wanted to jump over her while she was on the floor and was just too interested in her. I was worried about what the PP said about him trying to sleep next to her or on her. I ended up getting rid of him, but keeping my calmer cat. You will have to make sure the cat is not in the room your baby is sleeping in though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• There are all kinds of myths about cats being bad for babies. None of them are true. There is no reason to be afraid for the safety of your child. I promise your baby will not go blind because you have a cat. As for the jealousy thing, it will be an adjustment. Just be sure to give your kitty some lovin every day and he'll probably adjust just fine. Most pets recognize that the new baby is special and loved, and they respond accordingly. My dog protects my son, plays with him, and barks to let me know when trouble is brewing.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Got rid of our cat the first week after my son was born.
    Anonymous

• My cats were fine with the babies.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My doc says if you keep animals away from the baby when it gets older it will probably have allergies to them! Dont let the cat sleep with the baby or scratch it or anything, but dont keep it away from them either make shure when the baby is sleeping in its crib the door is closed where the cat cant get in!
    brittany320

Answer by brittany320 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• im not letting the cat in the room with the baby at all. my cat loves people he even trys to "talk" to us so im sure he isnt guna attack the baby. just dont want my baby to get sick
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 2:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2008