Who else discovered that Breastfeeding wasn't for them?

There has been a lot of hurtful comments going around about bottle feeders lately, which is pretty sad. For moms who hated nursing, couldn't nurse, or chose not to, Lets talk about it. How did breastfeeding make you feel? Why didn't you breastfeed? and if you have guilt how do you deal with it? where did you find, if any, bottle feeding support? and what kind of formula and bottles

We love our kids and we shouldn't have to defend that, so lets talk to each other and see that we aren't alone.

DoveMomma

Asked by DoveMomma at 6:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did try to breastfeed. My first child only lasted about 3 months. In that time she developed thrush which transferred to me, and it was VERY painful, and then developed stomach problems and I had to switch her to formula. With my second one I had gone through some emotional trauma and dried up within 2 weeks. with the twins, they were preemie and had feeding tubes to start out. I tried for about 2 months to breastfeed and pump because they had to have a special high calorie formula along with the breastmilk. I do not feel guilty that I had to use formula over breastfeeding. My kids are as healthy and happy as any other kids.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 8:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I thought breastfeeding wasn't for me. When DD was born, I had a VERY difficult time. Spent hours with the LC in the hospital. I decided that this nursing thing wasn't for me, and proceeded to formula feed my daughter. I was ok with this decision. DD was VERY colicky, even at a few days old. I was beside myself. I didn't know what to do. It was a Friday night, DD was 5 days old. She was inconsolable. DH, he was trying to help too, and said, why don't you give it just one more try. I was desperate. Willing to try ANYTHING. So, I assumed the position LOL. To our surprise, DD latched on PERFECTLY, and nursed. I mean, you could HEAR her swallowing, and she even burped when she was done! This kid, I swear, she looked at me like, haha mom, I knew how to do it all along, I was just kidding! I suspect that she nursed better once my mature milk had come in. From that day on, she was EBF, and while still colicky, she
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• was MUCH happier. And there is the story of my stubborn kid LOL.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I didn't breast feed. I didn't want to, The nurses & doctors tried really really really really hard to get me to breast feed, I wouldn't do it. At the last minute I changed my mind, & I had plainned on breast feeding for the first 48 hours. (Doctors begged me to at least do that much.) In the end, I didn't even do that, I slept right through my sons first few hours of live. He was born at 2:24 pm, & I didn't want fully up until 12:55 am ( I was in labor for a full week, ended up having to have a C-setion) By that time I was too sore, & he had already been placed on the bottle.

Do I regret it not, one bit. I dont believe that breast feed babies are smarter or healthier then Bottle Feed. My son is a test to that. The kid five year later is as smart as a whip, Im very lucky he's very healthy.

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I tried breastfeeding with both my boys (now 6 1/2 and 2 1/2). With my first he was having a little trouble getting the hang of it in the hospital and the nurses were concerned he was not getting enough so they had me give him a bottle well that was the end of that and he did not want the breast after that. With my second son he did a lot better but after my milk came in he did not want to nurse anymore so he had to go on the bottle as well. With the first one I felt guilty at first but then I thought I am still feeding my child and he is growing and healthy so I stopped feeling guilty.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 9:29 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i guess i never like the fact i formula feed. i didnt hate breastfeeding it was just really hard. with my second i try to bf and it went south all over again. but instead of quitting like i did with my first, i pump for 11 mts. to this day i regret formula feeding my daughter and she is almost 4 yrs old now. and after her i vowed to try my best to give my baby the breastmilk.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i tried breastfeeding my daughter and she wasn't getting much and was losing weight bad and so i had to do both and i did that for about month and half before i stop and just bottle feed her cause my milk was drying up i have pcos and i found out that most the time your milk wont either come in or wont last long and they are happy on how long mine even last and i do feel bad i want to breastfeed her cause i know it would help her in the end

but all that matters is shes a healthy happy 2 month old

neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i am breastfeeding and i would just like to say that i respect you women who have choosen to do what is right for you. there shouldnt be any competition in how you feed your child. keep being the best mommies that you are!! i bumped you for this =) happy feedings
    hotmommy420

Answer by hotmommy420 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It's actually been happening since CM first got started. I was physically unable to breast feed but I wanted to badly. I feel so long as you at least try and do your best, it's just fine if you stop. My daughter was formula fed and she's just fine now; she's almost 4.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Thank you to everyone who had the courage to answer! We always open ourselves up when we talk about a subject like this. You all have put my heart a little more at rest! I know many healthy formula feed babies, but something about knowing "strangers" have gone through this and have healthy formula babies too makes me feel much better!
    DoveMomma

Comment by DoveMomma (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010