What does everyone think about Obama's new stimulus plan?

http://www.observer.com/2010/wall-street/small-businesses-do-not-want-obamas-new-stimulus?utm_medium=partial-text&utm_campaign=politics

There's just one little wrinkle to Barack Obama's $30 billion small-business loan program: Small businesses may not want loans, and small banks don't want to lend.

The bill, which has passed the House and now only needs Obama's signature to become a full-on law, would provide billions of dollars to local banks to help them loan more money to small businesses, and move the economy forward at least a little bit. Trouble is, according to some bankers, no small businesses need loans right now because they would prefer not to expand when unemployment is high and people are paying down debt — not exactly a recipe for screaming demand.

Plus, banks aren't exactly eager to be in the government's back pocket and therefore subject to additional regulation and oversight.

angelachristine

Asked by angelachristine at 6:50 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's too little, too late! And you're right! Banks aren't loaning as much these days, because businesses are in a "holding pattern" until after the mid-terms.

That whole uncertainty thing as to where this country is headed really all rests on two dates...November 2nd, and January 1st. If FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE, TEA Party endorsed, Republicans/Independents regain control of the House and MAYBE the Senate, AND Bush's expiring tax cuts are extended past the December 31st expiration date--whether temporarily or permanently, THEN you will see business owners breathe a sigh of relief and begin to rebound!! If those two things DON'T happen, stagnation will continue until the 2012 election...and God knows what will happen if Obama were to somehow be re-elected!!! (shivers)

Funny thing about those business owners, they WANT to be successful and actually turn PROFITS!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• This is just PBO and the dems talking out of both sides of their mouths. Oh, we can't extend all of the Bush tax cuts.....it will cost $700 billion (imagined dollars that are "expected" to be raised....not actual in existence now money). What doesn't PBO care about $700 billion or any other amount of money? He spends that with a blink of the eye and never flinches. He touts the slogan "same old failed policies" in reference to Bush, yet he can't see his very own failed policies. He just continues to do the same old thing expecting different results. They have their own failed policies, but somehow we are suppose to view them as "different", "change", or Hope????
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• ****what does PBO******
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The same thing I thought of the first one, FAIL!!
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• no small businesses need loans right now because they would prefer not to expand when unemployment is high and people are paying down debt

This is a big issue that Obama doesn't understand because he has never owned or run a business.  Small businesses aren't willing to expand and borrow money if the future is uncertain.  They cannot calculate their cost of doing business because of all of the legislation our current law makers are putting into place.  If you don't know how those laws are going to effect your business, the more sound businesses aren't going to make any changes that might negatively impact their business (read livelihood) and the state of their current employees.  When times get tough, it's better to lay one person off and save what business you can instead of having everyone go down with the ship. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Did other Presidents own a small business? Tell us about how other Presidents would handle this.....it is going to reach Obama's desk, should he sign it? How do you see small businesses will survive in the future? Do you have solutions for us?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My solution is to let the free market decide who is going to succeed and who is going to fail. Government has no business stepping in like they have and it's one of the biggest reasons this recession has lasted so long. Oh, wait. I forgot that they deemed the recession over last year in June. My point about him not running a business is that he doesn' seem to realize that his efforts will be fruitless because successful business owners don't make decisions to expand in times of uncertainty. When you don't know what your tax bill will be, do you go spend money you don't have on something you don't need? If a business is doing well and expanding because they are selling more then they should already have the capital to expand. They shouldn't need a stimulus. When are we going to remove the expression 'too big to fail' and who gets to determine the size of 'big'?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• And Gertie, it's fine that you don't agree with my point of view. I am not trying to talk you into agreeing with me. You and I have a fundamental difference of opinion on many issues, and I'm okay with that. 

IMO, Obama was ill prepared for the job that was handed to him. I never would have voted for someone that has no experience and the only experience he does have has been circumvented by his constant need for a bigger stage. What exactly did he accomplish for his constituency as a Senator? I would love to know what he has actually accomplished in the positions that he held prior to the Presidency.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:20 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• http://www.entrepreneur.com/startingabusiness/successstories/article190478.html
    Some presidents have run businesses or been involved in business. Maybe that experience would have told him you can't force people to borrow money when they can't in good conscience say with certainty that they will be in business to pay it back. Lower taxes, stimulate the economy that way. That will generate income, tax revenue, and jobs. There's a plan for you, gertie.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't expect any president to know about everything. I do expect him to be smart enough to surround himself with people that do know about the subject at hand. BO hasn't done this.

There is no way in the world I would take out a business loan right now. I have no clue what my tax picture is going to be next year. Why on earth would I borrow money not knowing if I would be able to pay it back. Isn't that kind of what got so many people into trouble with their homes?

If the govt really wanted to help they would have asked the small business owners...you know the ones that run the dry cleaners, the florist, the corner market....we know what our needs are and it isn't a BAILOUT!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010