has anyone used castor oil to self induce?

This is my second pregnancy, and I am hoping for a VBAC. I was thinking of using castor oil to help move things along. Any advice?

appinkston

Asked by appinkston at 1:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Don't do it, I tried it once and the only thing it produced was the runs, lol
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i dont like having diarhea. Try clary sage drops in your bathwater. It works wonderfully! I went into labor 4 hours afer i soaked... Of course i didnt have the baby til 27 hours later...GL i hope it works for you if you try it.
    Anonymous

• Don't. It isn't always or even usually sucessful, and can cause your baby to pass meconium into the amniotic fluid which can make them sick or even kill them. Talk to your provider before trying any home induction technique, even all natural ones have risks.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• after*
    Anonymous

• I tried it.....gave me the shits for about four hours.. thats about it.
    NickysMomma888

Answer by NickysMomma888 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• it can actually be bad for the baby..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My sis tried it and just got the runs as well. I think it is an old wives tale. But I heard for it to work you have to take the whole bottle which I imagine cannot be too good for baby.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• DONT DO IT...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• its bad for the baby dont take it.its meant for cars,can cause a sick unhealthy baby,cause you to have c section its dangerous,i know someone that took it,and the baby had ear problems,and had to have surgery on them cause of it.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 3:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I tried it and you have to take so much of it I dont think I ever took enough. Either way I had diarrhea and it didn't do anything as far as labor was concerned. Why don't you try walking or sex, spicy food or bumpy roads. Also there is evening primrose oil that is suppose to soften your cervix and dilate you, It takes a few weeks though and not recommended for use under 38 weeks. You empty the gel tab in your vagina near the cervix. Good Luck.
    Anonymous