Ok, I have a question....

Do you think this "study" that has started to circulate that says we are as happy as we will get at $75,000 per year is propaganda to get us to rethink what we believe to be a comfortable income? Are they trying to get us to settle for less because we believe that we can't find happiness by making more money? I thought we already knew that money doesn't buy happiness no matter how much you make.
http://www.kippreport.com/2010/09/how-much-do-you-need-to-be-happy/

jesse123456

Asked by jesse123456 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We make more than that and I'm not happy with a lot of things. Money doesn't equal happiness.
    I've seen the articles on "how to live on less" blah blah blah. You are absolutely right about them trying to get us to lower our standards and be ok with it. It's all part of the plan
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I tend to lean toward it being propaganda. Happiness is a personal issue. You can't measure it with money. I grew up poor, but we were happy. We are quite succssful and make more than $75,000. I am still very happy. The biggest stresses in my life have come from my youngest son's Autism Spectrum Disorder and my husband's deployments...both are very personal issues.

I say the study is hogwash!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• money can't buy happiness but it sure can make misery a lot more fun. I have doubts about the study.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:47 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It is hard to be happy when you can't pay your bills...which is where I think the "money CAN buy some happiness" idea comes from. If you are struggling to put food on the table or keep your house warm, etc. then constant anxiety leads to depression or at least unhappiness. I struggled going from being taught that "money doesn't matter" but if you don't have enough to maintain, it absolutely matters. It really all comes down to the fact that Anxiety is a form of depression and the higher the poverty level gets, the more money it takes to keep you from being anxious about keeping your finances in tact. I definitely don't see this as propaganda.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 11:17 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• lol, physics. I went through a fascination-with-string theory phase...still fascinating but I wish I could learn more...
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 11:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Who are you (in general) to tell me that $xxx is enough for me? That if I hit this amount, I have enough and I don't need any more than that? Only I have to ability and right to decide how much is enough for me. If I am willing to work for it, I should be able to have it.

To me, the implication of this survey is that it's selfish to want to work for more than $75k a year. Once you reach that, you should stop so that others can have that amount, too. It reeks, I tell you. It just reeks.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Haha, I think $75,000 a year is a lot, but we're living off less, so.....

I'm sure the article has some truth to it, though. Think of all the stress and pressure that come with jobs that make more (although these lower end jobs can be just as dreadful). The missing time with family. Sure, you may have things, but I think the basic comforts are lost, some of the quality of life isn't really enjoyed. Or at least that's the way it seems. I think it comes down to considering if what you're putting into it is really worth what you're getting out of it. Is all the time/etc going into your job worth the excess funding you may not really need, or would you rather have that time for yourself (or have less stress, etc) and get by comfortably without so much excess?

I know we'd be more than comfortable at $75,000..... I honestly can't imagine spending much more than we already do....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Haven't opened the link yet but It's ridiculous for a study to put a $ amount on happiness! $75K is not that much money and there is no way we would be able to pay our bills with it...which would make us pretty miserable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• jesse123456

Comment by jesse123456 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think my issue is with even studying this. We use to try to achieve and were encouraged to go for the American dream. Now, this study seems to say that you can stop trying. I also read a variation of the study saying it was "per household". Which would mean that each adult earns $37,500. It is the whole thing of telling us that we don't need to try because happiness isn't in a paycheck. Well, I knew that. I always have known I can want less or make more. That is a no-brainer. But, why study and publish this? This is featured on the AOL news ticker today. It was studied in 1970 also.
    jesse123456

Comment by jesse123456 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2010