my four year old is loosing weight

She eats, just small portions, and has lost 5 lbs. in the last two weeks. what are some things I can do to help her gain healthy weight. We make our own fresh juices and smoothies, can I add protein suppliment to hers?

pennycandy

Asked by pennycandy at 8:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First as long as she is eating don't worry about it. =) As hard as that is to say. My son is always losing weight. I give him flintstones twice a day & he's fine. He barely eats (Some days wont even eat lunch at school.) Its normal for them to go through this, if you still feel uncomfy talk to your child's doctor...

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Be cautious about adding powdered protein to her food. It seems to me that there may be a kidney issue sometimes when extra protein is added. Check with her doctor. Unexplained weight loss should be checked. Is she more active? Is she in daycare and doesn't take time to eat her lunch?

Answer by Bmat at 9:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would mention it to the doctor,it is not normal!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:16 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would be concerned and consult a doctor.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:24 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Kids will go through stages where they don't want to eat much. Is she being more active also or is it just from not eating. If it is just from not eating make sure you are supplementing with vitamins. I'm not sure about a protein supplement, I'm sure that would be fine for your child but it never hurts to ask your Pediatrician. Making a child's meal fun always help. Like say using cookie cutters to make funny sandwiches, making an apple into a frog, using finger foods that let them put their own meal together like crackers, cheese and pepperoni, etc. Look up ideas on the web, the frog idea I got online and my son ate it up and he goes through stages where he won't eat all his fruit. As long as you are providing her with good nutrition and supplements shouldn't be a major cause for concern unless she starts dropping more weight then I would make sure to get her in with her doctor.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• if she starts seem affected by the weight loss..like tired,or m/b less active take her to see a pedi
    look for changes casue some kids just lose for a while then pick it back up months later
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would contact the dr. It is losing, not loosing. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• my daughter is 4 she is now in a structured daycare but she is losing weight herself but she is also tall for her age im no worried about it
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Call the doctor so he can reassure you, and please don't give her powdered supplements with out checking with him first.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2010