When my daughter starts to shave her legs is it OK for her to also shave her pubic hair?

I have read so much lately about how pubic hair is being removed by grown women and teens because it is cleaner and more sanitary. But is this also appropriate for those first starting to shave? Should I explain to her the benefits of being hair free down there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I personally don't see anything wrong with it. Explain to her the pros and cons of shaving that area and let her make the choice. I know she's your daughter, but it is her body. Let her do what feels comfortable to her. My oldest 2 do it. There is nothing wrong with it. They feel more comfortable and it is a lot cleaner, especially during "that" time of the month.
    DivaVickie

Answer by DivaVickie at 9:36 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Her body, her hair. And it's not as though you have to look at it. Let her do it. I suspect she'll discover that it is more trouble and itchy than it is worth, especially if she is not active sexually. Let her bring it up, though, I don't see the point of you bringing it up first. You may want to talk with a gyn to see if there really is a hygiene issue with it or not.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Most certainly not at 12.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:25 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• There is no need for a child to shave their pubic hair. That is something they can decide to do for themselves when they are adults.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:29 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would NOT bring it up. In general when you shave (esp. pubic hair) it grows back wilder, not to mention it can be pretty itchy and bothersome to shave and get bumps etc.

Unless its a bathing suit issue that you can see it OR she brings it up -- why start something???
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:36 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't see the point or the need to have her do that at her age.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would say no it's not ok to teach her this at this age let her decide or give her the knowledge when she is older
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Tell her it is her personal choice, but at 12 I doubt it is necessary.

Answer by older at 9:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Why is it okay for anyone to shave "down there" ? It isn't. What a huge waste of precious time. Legs and pits---fine.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• let her do it on her own, she will figure it out.
    hotmommy420

Answer by hotmommy420 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 26, 2010