19 kids and counting

what do you think of that family? my thoughts, have as many kids as you want and can afford. but i dont think it is ok to make your older kids help take care of your younger kids. and how can you give each kid personal attention? i would think that the kids would start to feel lost in the group. it isnt the older kids choice for the mom and dad to get having children, its not the older kids choice to take care of the younger kids.

jamiethornton26

Asked by jamiethornton26 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I like them WAY better than Kate or Octomom. They use no form of welfare, all of their children are well adjusted, loved, and healthy. They may be a little conservative, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The older kids do help, but even in a family of 3 or 4 the older kids help. They're doing what works for them, 1 kid is good for me- 20 may be right for them.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:52 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• there is absolutely no way you could ever give each child the individual attention they need
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Don't get me started about what these kids choices are and what they are supposed to do.

I believe 2 parents can have as many kids as they want as long as it works for them. I have 7 kids and sometimes I ask my older ones to babysit but I also know it was MY choice to have that many kids and I am not going to make my older kids feel THEY are the parents. Thankfully, I can afford help and that way I can have one on one time with each one of my children.

Now, the moment these people made their kids' lives a reality show, they took away their right to choose. These kids are growing up with millions of people watching and judging and that was the PARENTS' choice.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 9:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I like the family. Have as many kids as you want, but you should be able to support them financially as well as emotionally. I think the family relies alot on the older kids to help out with the younger kids with schooling, discipline, ect....i think these kids old and young need more individualzed attention than they are getting. I'm glad they don't follow the kids personal lives and focus more on the family.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think they are a wonderful family. And what's wrong with having the older ones help with the younger ones? It teaches them responsibility and to care for someone besides themselves. My 4 year old helps me with the baby, I don't see how this is any different. All of their kids are happy, well adjusted and well behaved. They are self sufficient, meaning they support their family on their own, even w/o the show. So what's the big deal?
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I am with you on this subject Jamiethornton26. To many kids. Kids raising kids. Have as many kids as YOU & DH can handle.

Answer by louise2 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It IS ok to have the older ones help with the younger ones for it helps them learn responsibility. The children are NOT raising the younger ones, they are HELPING with the overseeing. And seeing as how it is THEIR choice and not ours on how the family is run, I find not a thing wrong with it.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• To add, the show is not on the same level as a "reality' show (like kate plus 8) for there is no drama involved. It is about a decent family that is showing the love of God and showing a wonderful example to the world of goodness and wholesomeness, something that has been lacking in years gone past.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:20 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The kids all seem really happy. And that's all that matters. It's their choice how to raise their family as long as everyone is being taken care of.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:25 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• A child's job is to be a child. I don't think it fair to live your life being an adult and being responsible for other childre.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 26, 2010