Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Should I take out Child Support on my sons father? And will he have any rights or vistation if i do?

My son is 17 months and he doesnt do anything for him.

Answer Question

Asked by jellybeansmama at 9:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 5 (78 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • If you petition for child support it does in turn give him and his family visitation rights.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 10:01 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • Do you want your sons father in his life? If the answer is yes, then take out child support and let him has visitation with his child. If the answer is no, then maybe you shouldnt because he most likely will get some sort of visitation.

    Answer by renijazzysmom at 10:01 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • Even if he doesn't pay child support he has right over his child if he fights for it. Yes, get a child support order, is the best and the child deserve it.

    Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • I have heard from a friend that if i do he want have any rights or anything unless he gets a lawyer and everything.

    Comment by jellybeansmama (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • Well as of right now he dont have any rights cause we wasnt married and he didnt sign the birth certificate.

    Comment by jellybeansmama (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • If he didn't sign the birth certificate, then I'm not sure how that will work. But if you do get child support, he does, in turn, get visitation rights.

    Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • If he's not on the bc and you request cs they are going to give him a dna test to prove paternity and then he will have right over his child. Unless you asked fo full and sole custody but to get that either he have to abandone his child or you have to prove he is a bad dad.

    Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • If you don't want him to try and see him ever I would think it's best to just cut all ties.

    Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • there would be court ordered paternity test. He would be given the rights of visitation but he may or may not take them. A lot of men will do the visitation out of spite for having to pay the money but you may find that his family has no idea your child exist and will embrace your child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • Child support has nothing to do w/ visitation. You go to Child Support Enforcement for child support and the child's father has to get an attorney and sue you for visitation. All but, two states give the unmarried mother custody by default and the father has to get them ordered through court.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.