does anyone know? (air filter/air conditioning question)

i live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment, 1153 sq ft, keep my ac on 77 during the day, 75 at night, do laundry once or twice a week, and somehow my electric bill has been 175-190 per month since i've lived here for the past 4 months. i checked my air filter yesterday and it was nasty, obviously it wasnt changed before i moved in. so i put it a new one, and i can already feel the difference that my house is cooler now, probably because my a/c unit doesnt have to work so hard. could this have been the reason why my bill was so high?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• That could be the reason. But also, I would ask the manager if it's possible to have the duct work checked out. I once had a problem with my A/C running 24/7 and not really cooling off the house - turns out a piece of the duct in the attic came loose and was blowing all the cold air straight into the attic and out of the house. There may be a disrupted connection in your area of the complex. Or the main A/C unit may have a freon leak.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 11:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It might be and maybe the unit is not high efficiency.

Answer by older at 10:30 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It does not hurt to change or clean the filter. It allows the unit to maintain collness at all times and enables it to not have to work so hard.

CFL light bulbs are another great way to cut down costs.

A clothesline is another.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 10:34 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yes a dirty filter means the AC is working to hard to try and pull clean air through it it should help just keep watching the filter and change when it gets dirty
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The filter change might help, but how old is the unit in your place? Maybe it's not efficient. Also, what other things are running all the time? Computers? Hall lights? fans? are there leaky windows and doors? Are you on the top floor? These are all considerations, but I'm afraid changing the filter won't make a huge difference, but you should notice some.
    Angelwolf130

Answer by Angelwolf130 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2010