To circ or not to circ...Why is this a debate...I mean, why does anyone even need to know what your kids penis looks like?

How does this even come up? Hello, I chose not to circ my son, and you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It seems like people want to argue and attempt to influence what mothers do, especially during pregnancy and the first year of your child's life. I don't think people give mothers any credit for knowing what to do with their own children. It's gotten better as my children have gotten older. They're 8 and 5 now, and people don't ask stupid questions about what they think I should or shouldn't be doing with my own children. And although people don't seem to think it's inappropriate to ask what a baby boy's penis looks like, they sure don't ask what my school aged boys' penises look like.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:14 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think it comes up because it's something people feel passionate about. Parents who make an educated choice (whether for or against) it's because they sought out the education and made the choice they believed was right, and therefore tend to believe the other choice is wrong. Personally, I am a strong supporter in circumcision, and don't understand how anyone with the facts would choose to do anything else. I don't see this as a subject worthy of debate because to me there is only one choice. I assume that's how parents on the other side of the argument feel as well, which is why the debate gets so heated.

The point is it's up to each of us to seek out the education, get the facts, and make the choice we feel is best. We don't have to agree, all that matters is that we all make the choice which is right for us!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My boys are circumsized...we did it because other family members have had issues with it when they were older and had to get circum. at an older age, which is much more painful than at birth. I let my husband make the decision, I figure if he has one, he would know what is best. It makes no difference to me, and I could care less what others do. Just don't lecture me about "mutilating" my child...it was over 2 seconds and they never thought about it again.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 1:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I chose not to either, why start out life with a painful unnecessary procedure?

Answer by older at 10:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Women may ask how it was done or if they are pregnant want to know the different procedures used to do it...

I have my two boy's done and when my youngest is born he will too. It is a choice made by my husband and I.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:43 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Because people ask. I have started answering by smiling and saying; 'That's kind of a personal question isn't it?' lol. It's easier that way and then they feel stupid for asking. It's just not a good conversation piece.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I chose not to circ of any deep spiritual belief but instead of economics When I had my son I did not have enough money to have the procedure done I fortunatley met a man who already raised his son being non circ the 16 yr old wishes he was circed he has taught my son to be EXTRA DETAILED when it comes to washing I admit I kinda wished i had him circed just because of the extra care my son now has to be when cleaning My Fiance is circ but my father was not Also my son is 5yr and I havent seen his penis for two years luckily I have a man who understands the situation and taught my son how to CLEAN PROPERLY
    dav61101

Answer by dav61101 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• circ all the way here! For me it is because it is the norm, I am catholic, and for hygeine purposes! But whatever floats your boat!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We chose to CIRCUMCISE our son...what is CIRC?
    LOL.I am kidding of course but when ever I see a new discussion about circumcision, I have to laugh because it just means there will be pro-circumcision and anti-circumcison and Moms who say it is evil ,mutilation and Moms who say it is good and sanitary.....yada yada yada.....as usual. To "Circ" or "Not to circ". aye, that is the question....
    DO what you think is right and ,for goodness sake, say CIRCUMCISE....not "Circ". It sounds like some new fad....a cute little in-crowd way of saying Circumcision. and it just makes me laugh.Circ Circ Circ. Silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• OMG, my husband isn't - sorry -terrible, just terrible.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010