I believe in God...but I just don't want to go to church.

we grew up in a God believing family but we hardly ever went to church, sometimes we would but after a couple weeks we would "sleep in" and then wouldnt get back on track of going for a long time.... Well now my parents have found a new church tha seems to be very nice. First my dad went by himself and he seemed to change, all of a sudden the anger he had for some people went away ( his old "buddies" ..but that is another story)..he even shook their hands when seeing them. He then made my mom go just one time with him ( he actually made her sign a paper saying he would go lol) ...and now she is the same way -- their living room table now has an assortment of books about God, and they read the bible to each other at night.

I believe in God, I dont believe that you have to go to church to believe in him, my parents and other family members will not leave me alone about going, saying my kids need to go to sunday school, etc

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 10:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Religious Debate

• You know.... you can believe in God and NOT go to church. That is MY belief anyway. If it weren't true than I would hate to see what happens to people in other countries who would be killed if they were caught in a church building (thus the reason they meet secretly when they can). I believe it's a matter of your HEART and your RELATIONSHIP with God.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 4:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree, you dont need to go to church to beleive in God. And frankly, alot of the meanest, cattiest women I know are all heavily involved in their church, so if thats how church makes people, I would rather not go.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• While church can be a very productive part of one's spirituality, I don't feel its necessary. So if you don't feel as though its something you need for your own spiritual cultivation, then you don't need it. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The primary reason to attend church is NOT to benefit you, it is so that you can worship God. God is worthy of that worship and if you are truly one of his children, then you should go for the opportunity to worship. The secondary reason to attend church IS to benefit you. It provides you with an opportunity to grow in your faith. You cannot stay where you are and go with God, nor is it enough to say that you "believe in God." Even the demons believe in God, and they tremble at His name, but they are not under his grace. Jesus said that his sheep hear His voice and come to Him. If you have no desire to come to your Shepherd, then perhaps you are not a part of His flock. The condition of the heart is vital. If you desire a relationship with God, then you simply must attend church. But if your desire is to not attend, then where is your relationship? I would urge you to seek God through prayer on this matter, and then obey.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I am with both of u!!!! God can hear u just as easily in church as not in church! I pray all the time!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:51 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• God gave us a free will and allows the the choice. A church is not a building, but where "2 or 3 gathered together" are and therein, Jesus is in the midst. God does NOT force people and I find it sad that those wishing to follow Him think they need to push others. They are only doing what they feel is right out of love for you. Yet, He wants us to follow Him because we WANT to not because we HAVE to. Sometimes, just the simple fellowship with another human being (God's child of course) is enough to sustain us.

And cassie, that is SO true! so so true!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• You should be able to worship your god in a cave for all he cares. He is either there for you or he isn't...it shouldn't depend upon you physically being in a "church".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• you can choose not to go. I used to be the same way believing in God but not wanting to go to church. I grew up being forced to go to church. I found a different path for myself and I'm now happy and enjoy going to sunday services. I decided to change religion and found happiness going to our kingdom hall. Now, i'm not saying you need to change religion, but maybe finding a different place that will make you happy and enjoy gathering together with your fellow Christians might make a difference. It's up to you what makes you happy. Maybe pray about it, it may help you.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I believe you dont HAVE to go to church in order to believe! I know many strongly religious people who keep to themselves or have a small circle they share it with.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The reason I go to church is to be with my church family and grow with them! Without church for me.. and being around other believers... my attitude changes real fast. not good. So as long as I am following God, attending church and fellowshipping with them. It gives me a better focus for the week. I have that lift to carry me through. It works for me. God found it important to say not to forsake the fellowship of believers and in my case I see why.
    You know here is a thought... if your parents attitude changed after attending.. have you considered that your childrens will too?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010