How much computer time do your kids get?

I limit my 12 year old to 30 minutes / day on school days... and have software that enforces this. What limits to you have on your kids?

Maureenmich

Asked by Maureenmich at 10:52 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I try to limit to half hour per day for computer, tv and video games combined, of course there are always exceptions!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Only computer time my kids have is at school, or when they have a special project for school that requires the computer.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My dd6 gets bout gets bout an hr for extra homework on spellingcity and starfall and some math site and last week Bossy R. Then later after dinner bout 30min for youtube, checking her email and playin games. When I'm on CM i let her read some questions and ask how she would respond.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:11 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Our 11 year old know that 1. no computer before school 2. after school if homework is done then sometime before Dinner. 3. weekends - that depends on what's going on and no computer before his weekend chores.  If we feel he has been on there to long we just tell him "that's enough". 

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• They aren't allowed to use the computer at all.  They are 10, almost 9, almost 8 and 4 1/2.  We tried giving them each an hour or so every few days but it ended with them all fighting and the oldest taking over everyone else's time and refusing to get off without a huge tantrum so we just banned everyone from the computer.  Plus every time they use it they screw something up on the computer.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Unlimited computer time for homework assignments, with the computers located in the common area of the house. Once homework is completed, there usually isn't any time for other activity! But if there is, they're each allowed an hour of free-time access.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 3:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• 1/2 hour on school days, 1 hr on non-school days. If they need to use the computer for homework it doesn't go against their computer time for the day. (one of my son''s science and Math books are on line. When he has hw on those classes he doesn't have to bring the book home)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We homeschool, and they are required to go on for that, and we also have the Rosetta Stone for German lessons (and we pay them $5 every lesson they pass...they don't know how good they got it - if they concentrate they can finish 2 lessons an hour - not bad for 9, 11, and 12) but besides that, we discourage any gaming and such. They get enough brain rot at the exes.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 8:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2010