why do my boobs hurt?

am i not feeding enough? (obviously i am breastfeeding) and somtimes when LO is sleeping i just get these urges in my boobs and they honestly feel like they are going to explode!! The first time i felt this i squeezed them and it helped until i noticed i had streams of milk running down my hands. Do i need to feed more? they hurt and they leak alot for about 2mins and then the pain goes away. i havent tried pumping yet, im thinking that might help.

hotmommy420

Asked by hotmommy420 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is the baby?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• 3 weeks
    hotmommy420

Comment by hotmommy420 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would say you are new to breast feeding and you haven't gotten your rhythm down with you new child. When you have the urges get a pump and pump a little, if you are like me you don't have left down unless you are nursing. Make sure to store the milk, it will come in handy.
    I highly recommend feeding on demand and this will lessen your discomfort and teach your body when you child wants milk, how much and the discomfort will ease. In the next week or so it will fade and things will begin to level out.

Congrats and good luck, be patient for both of you.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Pumping will really help you out here. The pain should lessen.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It sounds like a let down. At 3 weeks, your supply isn't regulated yet. Continue doing what you are doing, nurse on demand, and in a few weeks, your supply should regulate. When that happens, you will probably NOT leak, or leak less, and your breasts will not feel full anymore. A lot of women mistake this for "drying up". I'm only mentioning it so that when you do regulate, you don't get nervous and think you need to supplement.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Pumping will most likely NOT help. Your body is in overproduction mode, and pumping is going to tell your body that you need MORE milk. I would not pump unless you NEED to (for a separation from baby).

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I completely agree with what Krysta622 said.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2010