Were you suprised or offended bu the amount of magic/voodoo in the Princess and the Frog?

I mean I talk to my kids about it and we focused on the good lesson in the movie... I have a friend who refuses to let her girls watch it because if the 'dark magic' ... anyway just curious.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 11:12 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it made the movie better because like a PP said, it's based in Louisiana, decades ago, and that was a lot of the culture down there then. Still is now too, at least from what I've seen (Not saying it's all like that, I've spent limited time in Louisiana but grew up in east TX). I thought it was cute, and even being Baptist it didn't bother me at all to let my kids watch it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It's based in Louisiana, it was big back in the day. I really didn't care myself. A lot of Disney movies are off limits to certain religions due to magic, and other things that go against their beliefs. It isn't hurting anything though.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• There is a lot of magic, black magic and all kids off stuff like that in almost every Disney Movie.
    Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 11:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It didn't bother me. I did think for half a minute, not that the voodoo was bad, but that one scene might have been a little too scary for littler ones. The scene where the shadow guy gets it, lol. But I thought it was cute.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Um... The main characters were turned into frogs. How's the story supposed to work without magic. Magic has always been a very big part of children's stories. It's mostly just a short hand to the fantasy.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 11:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• See, that thought would have never crossed my mind. Kids can tune in on the TV and see a lot worse these days. There was actually a kid's show on the other day and my granddaughter asked me why the man was dressed up and running around like a girl... go figure.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Harry potter, lord of the rings ,sleeping beauty, beauty and the beast, cinder ella, hasel and grettle, ;;; all involve magic - good verses and evil.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't care about the so called dark magic. Its a kids show. It's actually my daughters favorite show.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I was just curious if a lot of people felt that way. As far as magic goes... the Black Cauldron was almost an adult movie. lol. I dunno it doesn't bother me for my kids play magic as long as they know it is a game. Me and this friend actually go to the same church so for her is is a personal preference and Totally respect it.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• You know thinking back this same friend allows her daughter to watch Snow White...Wonder where the difference is...
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Sep. 26, 2010