Did you give your fiance/hubby a certain amount of time to get engaged?

My friend and her b/f have been together almost 4 years and have 1 child together. I was talking to her and she said he had 5 years to put a ring on her finger or else they would be over. i was just wondering if you gave your man a "time limit" to make such a committment to you? (My hubby and I were engaged literally 3 weeks later and have been married for almost 4 years now)

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• No, but I only dated men that were "marriage minded" If I had dated a guy that I didn't think was heading in that direction, I wouldn't have stayed with him.

Answer by missanc at 3:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Sort of. My DH asked me to move in with him since his family was moving way far away. I told him I would only if he was planning on marrying me. I didn't tell him he had a time frame but I did want to make sure he was serious before I moved in with him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would say if you have a child you should be married. What is the point of shacking up beyond the birth of a child?? If you are living together like you are married than you should be.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 1:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No I did not. We both new when we wanted kids we would want to be married. So after 5 yrs of dating. We decided we wanted kids and got married a year later. We have been married coming up to 8 yrs.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No.. We moved in a year after we got together and he proposed to me 2 years later- out of the blue, we hadn't even discussed the idea of getting married because we were 22 and 23 and I thought we were still young to get married!!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 11:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• its okay to give a time limit but there are alot of guys that want to wait for the right time or are just not ready yet. my husband and i dated for 3 months and got married we have been married for going on 3 years November 10th.
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, I really didn't want to get married, but after living together over a year and invested our money in a home that just seemed to be the right thing to do, so I accepted his proposal and it's been great.  We do love each other and have a lot of fun together.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:44 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, though that's not to say I haven't given it some serious thought! We've been together for 8 years now and have a 3 year old son. We were supposed to get married the year our son was born, but we decided with the money putting on a wedding would cost, we should use it instead to pay for having a child...plus, I didn't want to be 7-8 months pregnant during the wedding! Now he's three and to be honest, I think he'd wait 8 more years before asking me! I understand that money is so incredibly tight right now, so I don't want to ask him about it, but I do wonder if it will ever happen!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 11:44 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I always gave a relationship 2 years. In 2 years you should know each other well enough to know if you want to stay with that person and be married to that person. But me and my DH didn't get that close. We where married with in 4 months of meeting. Been married 21 years.

Answer by louise2 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, because I knew my hubby had an ultimate goal of finding a wife so, I knew if we were "meant to be" we would get married soon. We were together for 4 months when we got engaged and when we got married we had been together 8 months. We celebrated our 6 year anniversary yesterday!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010