Can i clean the catbox while prego if I wear gloves and a mask?

Danielle875

Asked by Danielle875 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you can do what ever you want, but the risk of the disease will still be there.
    Anonymous

• That is what my doc told me to do. DH was gone for majority of my pregnancies and there was no one else to clean the cat box. My doc told me to use gloves and mask and wash very well afterwards and to do it every day so there was less chance for the bacteria to grow.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i had to clean the litterbox once i wore gloves and a mask the part u have to be worried about the most is the dust from the litter...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 2:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The Fecal matter is what carries the bactieria........ I would wear gloves and wash well afterwords but my Doc told me that if you have had a cat for sometime and have been changing the litter that your body has an immunity to the bactiera but i would still use caution!! its your baby in there, ya gotta take care of it!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• with my first daughter,the doctor told me i wasnt allowed to change the kitty litter box and with this pregnancy the docotor told me as long as i wear gloves so Ive been told to different things,but i coudnt stand the smell so i had my bf do it.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 3:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• you should buy the feline pine cat litter, it is less dusty and is brown. It is not really expensive and I believe it's organic
    Anonymous

• If you had a cat as a child or have had cats as an adult you really don't need to worry. Chances are you had the disease already and are at no risk. I don't know why people worry about a cat box, if you've had cats your entire life....you have no reason to worry. Now, if you've never touched a cat before and suddenly you get one while you are pregnant...then I would not touch the cat or the litter box until the baby is born, but for people who have had cats, risk is minimal to nonexistent.
    Anonymous