Have any advise for talking to teachers?

My youngest just started kindergarten. Here, a child must be 5 before December 31 to be eligible to enter kindergarten. Thomas turns 5 on December 30. I hestitated over sending him because he will be the youngest in his class but I know he's ready academically. He knows his letters by sight and most of his numbers. He's genuinely interested in learning new things. What I think he has trouble with is social interactions. He's still not really good at doing what he's told.

Anyway, we have a meeting with the teacher on Monday because he's apparently been a disruptive influence. He doesn't want to do all his work before playing. He mostly just wants to play. She's been concerned about his age since the first day. This is the first time for full day kindergarten.

I need some strategies to advocate for my child without going mama bear.

Myantek

Asked by Myantek at 11:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in

• My son is one of the youngest in his class, now he's in 7th grade, but I remember those young grades very well. He was always busy, active and curious. A year makes a huge difference in boys' behavior. Listen to the teacher's concerns and suggestions. Explain what works at home for discipline. I also found that when my son was hungry or tired, he acted out more at that age. Make sure he gets a good night's sleep, and eats a good breakfast, snack and lunch. Including some kind of protein is good for helping him behave -- yogurt, cheese stick, milk, ham, peanut butter (if allowed.).
    One thing that worked to help my son focus was his focus ball. The teacher gave him a squeeze ball for times when he had to sit and listen. He knew it was not a toy, it was a tool to help him learn to sit still.
    He will settle in to the class routine when he knows you support the teacher.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 4:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• First of all, I just need to say that Kindgergarten teachers deserve a special place in Heaven! I've subbed in K, & believe me, it's a lot of work. It's not about snack time, nap time & play time! I would ask her what methods she uses for motivation & discipline? How does she redirect him? You may want to research some methods online before the meeting to offer suggestions. Work out a plan that you can follow up on at home, like a daily behavior report. As long as you work together (w/ a reward-based goal) I'm guessing things will improve. (*Sometimes the hyper ones are hyper b/c they are bored, not being challenged & highly intelligent)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• So he's 4 in kindergarten? That's so young and such a long draining day for him to sit still and learn. I agree with the pp. Good advice.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I waited til the next year for my kids. In the long run I felt it was better for them to be one of the older ones. I started young and was always the one who was way to shy to answer a question or whatever. The older ones would be right there just waiting to hold their hand up. One decision I have never regretted.
    LKT

Answer by LKT at 12:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Did he go to preschool? I would discuss way to keep him busy with extra work. My son needs extra work because he gets bored. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• He did go to preschool and he's been to plenty of classes where he had to listen to a teacher and follow direction without DH or I being there.

The teacher has suggested picking him up sooner but anytime DH has gone to get him they're getting ready to dismiss. And that was the 10-15 minutes earlier that she suggested. I'm not sure if any earlier than that is really practical. My feeling is that since we're one of the test schools for full-day kindergarten I should be writing the district about these kids that are one the bubble.
    Myantek

Comment by Myantek (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Be prepared to have a few meetings, if necessary. I'd start off being sweet and supportive but make your stance known. He stays in Kindergarten, but you are willing to work things out so that he's getting all the skills he needs. I would recommend against having him leave at half-day because if his classmates aren't doing it, that's going to stick out.

He might need extra work. Maybe the kids need a little more down time with full-day K. Perhaps a routine needs to be added, at school and/or at home. Be willing to work with her and she'll probably be willing to make it work.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree with first PP
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010