beginning to potty train... kinda clueless!

We just bought a potty for our 2yr old son. He's been very interested in the potty and comes in the bathroom when we are doing our business so I'm taking that opportunity to sit him on his potty so he can feel like a big boy too. He doesn't want his diaper back on... If this is day 1... Any tips? Also how often should I put him on his potty and should I make him let me put his diaper back on?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 11:40 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The way that worked for us is to set up a reward chart. My son is really into the show blue's clues, so I made a chart with a picture of Blue on it. Each time he goes potty he gets a clue, for each accident we take a clue off the chart. When he gets 7 clues, he gets a new dvd. (I found some Blue's Clues dvds for cheap on Amazon.) We were giving candy each time he went, but that didn't work out so well. If your child has something they're really into, it might be a good idea to try it! If he doesn't want his diaper back on, he might be ready for underwear or pull ups! The decision is yours but as soon as my son started showing real interest in his potty, we did away with diapers and switched to underwear. I'm not going to lie,it got messy, but he learned quickly that way. If you're able to stay at home with him all day for few days, it might be a good bet. We tried to put him on the potty every 1/2 hour or so.
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 12:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i have 2 tricks i have picked up in 15yrs of parenting..
    letting them run round with no undies on seems to stimulate them to use th pot quicker..
    an making a secret layer like super heros...i make a tent over the potty an tell them thats where they go in privacy like what ever superhero does..no body knows your in there..til u finsh..when u done u can have a sticker or whatever u feel like rewarding them with..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010