My daughter bought a green anole can anyone tell my how to take care of it.

So far heat light in the day, heating pad at night, spray the cage 3 times a day, and 3 crickettes every 2 days and the thing still doesnt look happy maybe its shedding idk

emtmommyamanda

Asked by emtmommyamanda at 2:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pets

• i was told by pet store employees not to do the heat pad thing period on any reptile becuase it can melt their skin and they wont know they're burning themselves..same w the heat rocks..a UV light about $10.00 at petsmart..thats what i have for my snake..and the lights suposed to be on for between 8-12 hrs a day.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Anoles are not desert lizards, they are tropical forest lizards. Heat pads are not good for them. Get a good book on caring for anoles at a pet store.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Don't get a heat pad, but a heat lamp. The associates at a pet store will tell you which one to get. I used to work at PetSmart and those were my FAVORITE lizards!! They're so cute! Spray the cage once in the morning and once at night. Make sure they have a little water dish in there. And if you don't have decorations in the cage, get so, moss to go on the floor of it, little fake trees for it to climb in. Make sure the crikets are the small ones too. Good luck!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i did ask the associate at my pet store i have the heat lamp but she said the light 24-7 would make him skiddish so when i got to bed i shut the light off and turn the heat pad on and i do buy the small ones but some of them were kinda big he ate them still but he kinda bit it in 1/2
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 2:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You don't leave the light on at night. In the wild the anole would cool down at night, so don't heat him at night. MarlyGirl has good answers. Go to your local PetSmart and ask a Pet Care specialist for a care sheet for anoles. You may be able to get one online at anapsid.org.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2008