Parents touring colleges are asking why their son or daughter should spend four

years earning a liberal arts degree if they're going to end up at home without a job. In this tough economy should college programs be aimed at making students more marketable ?

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 11:50 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Every single student is different. At this point no degree is safe. Even hospitals are hiring foreign nurses, at lower salaries, leaving qualified, American nurses unemployed. The hospitals are also paying housing costs for these nurses. My husband has a young employee who graduated in 2009 with a a BS in chemical engineering who has been unable to secure a job in the greater Chicago area (in his field). THERE ARE FEW self supporting job opportunities for young folks with limited experience in the USA-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• How do you make someone more marketable to companies who aren't hiring? And no, the college is there to educate, it is up to the student to make themselves marketable.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 11:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Liberal Arts? They can always be community organizers
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• What a waste it is to earn a liberal arts degree.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It isn't a colleges job neccecsarrily to make a student more marektable..its a students responsibility to make themselves more marketable to companises that are rarely hiring..and that comes with better grades, more experience ect. and FYI I really dont think liberabl arts degrees are good.. I went to a liberal arts college for 2 yrs and it was pointless..learned alot of stuff that wouldnt help me get anywhere in my a job.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Well, someone's got a liberal arts degree.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would tell my college bound kid ~ it's about making yourself more marketable. Not expecting someone else to do all for you.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm not sure what to say to those parents other than.. A Liberal Arts degree isn't the wisest way to go in regards to having a career (a seudo stable one & well paying one) in the next decade plus.

Kids who are going to be getting out of college during the next decade, and all of those after them. Are going to have to be prepared to work in a global economy, they are going to have to be prepared/educated enough to compete with other people their age from all over the world for jobs. They will need to speak different languages, and some need to be prepared to travel and live outside of the states for their chosen career field ( I know this is the case with my adult son).

Time have changed. Students need to specialize in regards to education/careers, and they need to be well educated. Eventually one will need a base end college degree to ask the question "Do you want fries with that".. Seems ridiculous, but it's true.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Isn't a liberal arts degree what you go for when you have zero direction and no talent?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The point being education, degrees, appropriate related, CURRENT skills and RECENT experience and connections- YOU HAVE TO HAVE THEM ALL in today's economy.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2010