Starting Solids....Should we start vegetables or fruit first? With what did you start your kids when it was time?

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 11:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Veggies. We started with sweet potatoes, then squash, then green beas, peas. Then started fruit. I was always told to start with the veggies so they don't want the "sweet" taste of fruit just yet.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• avocados mashed w/ breastmilk till smooth.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Veggies first. You introduce fruit and they won't want veggies. Fruit is too sweet. Spoils are babies.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• veggies
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Veggies! Once they get the taste of the fruits- they may not want the veggies anymore. I had to mix it, half of each on 1 spoon just to get the veggies in 'em. Thankfully, they still like SOME of their veggies :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I started with fuits with both my children and I never had a problem getting the to eat veggies.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 12:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Doesn't matter what you start with, the veggie first thing is a myth. Sweet potato are the least allergenic, so you might bake one and fork mash it (or dice it), but banana and avocado are equally good starter foods.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My daughter loved eating both fruit and veggies.. but she's a weird one I guess. She was part of the few who was actually allergic to sweet potatoes. We waited a year before trying them again.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I started with a veggie, but you don't HAVE to. I agree that it's a myth that they won't eat veggies if you give fruit first. Breastmilk is sweet, and babies still eat veggies after being accustomed to breastmilk. Frequently recommended first foods are avocado, banana, sweet potato. Anything goes, pretty much though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• when i started i wish someone would had told me to start off with green veggies. there is something more in them then the other's.. my DD is 14 months and still hardly eats greens!
    autumnsmommy721

Answer by autumnsmommy721 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2010