Introducing a sippy cup to a 6-months old son....Do the babies eventually learn how to sip from it or do you need to show them the motion? My MIL said that I should try giving him breast milk in a sippy cup before starting with the tap water. Is that a good idea?

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 12:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think putting milk in there is a bad idea. but the baby may not be completly ready for a sippy cup yet. Mine is 10 mo and I started with sippy cups when he was about 6 mo and had no success. he didnt want it cause it didnt drip out and he had to work for it. so I just kept trying every few days or so and now at 10 mo were he starting to realize he can get it to work. just be patient with him. no worries he'll eventually get it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 12:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Don't waste your precious milk! It may take months for him to learn how to use it. Water is fine, easy to rinse out and cheap! We introduced my first son to it at 7 months and he got the hang of it around 11 months... and we introduced the second around that time as well (I think!) and he got it pretty quickly... but had no interest in them for a while, he preferred to get the good stuff from the tap! ;)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• yes. since the child is failier with breast milk taste, it will want to suck more.. fom time to time introduce it.
    myboyz8641

Answer by myboyz8641 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• They will eventually get the hang of it. It wouldn't hurt to try and teach, but if you don't they will still learn. Personally, I would advise offering a small amount of water, in a sippy cup, at the time that you are offering solid meals, obviously after nursing or giving a bottle. That's it. As time goes on, you will find that you are offering it more and more, but to start, I think mealtime is a good idea.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I started with a sippy with both of my kids at 7 months and neither got the hang of it until they were almost a yr old. Keep doing water though don't waste your milk & just start out slowly, if u offer it to much he may end up not wanting anything to do with a cup. My dd just all of a sudden on her first bday threw her bottles away and started drinking out of the cup and I only had her trying to cup once or twice a day up until her bday & at 14 months ds did the same thing, You dont have to show him the motion, usually I would just put some pressure on the lid to show mine what was in it and then they would try to get it out because it was something other than formula, I would put diluted juice in there cups sometimes and thats how I got them to drink out of the cup for the first time.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I started my DD on a sippy cup at likt 5 months old I just gave her the cup of water and she figured it out. She only gets formula in a bottle but milk and juice she gets in a cup. She picked the cup up and just figured it out on her own. She will be one next month and is just about off the bottle
    TigerBaby69

Answer by TigerBaby69 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I gave my DS a sippy at 6 months to just to introduce the idea of it to him and to show him how to hold it, etc. It took a while before he was able to hold it on his own. I don't think the concept of drinking from it took too long.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010