Weening off the bottle?

My son's 16 months and we're thinking about weening him from the bottle. He drinks everything except for his milk/formula from a sippie cup. The times we've given him milk in a cup he finds a bottle and gives it to us.
Is milk even still necessary for him at this age? I understand him needing vitamins but he gets plenty from other things like juice, fruits, and veggies.
Any suggestions or advice would help. thanks.

Cheshire_Cat

Asked by Cheshire_Cat at 2:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Ofcourse milk is important...
    Just get rid of the bottle it is that simple...
    Anonymous

• well with my daughter she wouldnt drink milk from anything but her bottle so i was giving her one at night before bed and one in the morning...then we started to not give her the one at night and after a couple of months of just having it in the morning i just one day gave her a bottle with water in it and a cup with milk she tried the bottle and wasnt wanting water in the morning so she opted for the milk and that was the last time she had a bottle...now she uses them to feed her dolls lol. I know they say you should have the baby off the bottle by 1 but honestly i think milk is important and so i let her have hers until she was about 17 months old. anyway you could try giving him a bottle of water and a sippy of milk and see which he takes
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 2:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Milk is still needed. As for the bottle, I have no advice. My son is nearly 2.5 years old and he actually is sipping milk out of a bottle right now. I see no point in taking it away. A sippy is just a grown up looking bottle. He also uses a cup with a straw during the day and only uses the bottle for milk.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• when my granddaughter turned on e my daughter took her bottle away and only gives her a sippy cup for all drinks and its been 2 months and its going wellshe even weaned her off the formulka by adding formula 1/2 and 1/2 whole milk.
    Bshort

Answer by Bshort at 6:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Milk yes formula no. Just start giving all in a sippy. If you wait much longer he may give you trouble. If he cries for the bottle start watering down whatever it is he is wanting and eventually you will be down to all water and he should refuse it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2008