Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

???? Is anyone familiar with SSI Disability for a disabled child ????

I was told by my childs psychologist to apply for SSI Disability for him a few years ago. I never followed up on it though. Most recently at his IEP meeting for school they suggested that we should consider applying for SSI Benefits. I guess I am a little confused. What is the purpose of sending a child a check? Is it to save for when they are adults? Does anyone know the $$ amount that they give children that are disabled? I am just curious, so if there is ANYONE who can give me any insight as to whether or not this would be an avenue to pursue, I sure would appreciate it.
Oh, and here is what my child has been diagnosed with: ADHD, Bi-Polar Disorder with underlying Schitzophrenia, and Oppositional Defiance Disorder. He is 12 years old now, and was originally diagnosed as a toddler.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • You cannot save the money - if you have too much in assets the child will not get SSI. Not sure what the reason is, but I got it for my son before I remarried, he has autism. At the time he received somewhere around $600, which was the maximum but it is a sliding scale based on the parent's income.
    The income limit isn't too restricting, but the assets level is really low! If you and your husband have more than one car, you can pretty much count out getting SSI (the "give" you one per family that they don't count, but they do count the 2nd vehicle whether or not there are 1 or 2 adults in the household which seems unfair to me - should be one vehicle/adult if you ask me)

    Answer by missanc at 12:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • i would apply if i were u, the money would be for u to help the child get the things he needs to function, i guess u could use it for any thing, shelter, food, clothes ect, i am going to apply for my son he has adhd, and possibly bi polar, to help us pay for our home, bills that is basic needs

    Answer by navywifemomkoch at 12:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • it depends on state how much u get..y needs it is because he disabled...

    Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • I would apply... and also speak to them about med waiver... it's on a sliding scale and helps with HIS needs... its not a bad idea, and can't help to at least try.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.