Having issues with a big boy bed!!!!!! help!!!!

My son is one year old. We are pretty soon going to be putting him in a big boy bed, but we have come across a problem that my husband pointed out to me....our rooms are up stairs. were worried that when we put him in his big boy bed that he could possibly fall down the stairs .We cant put a baby gate up on the stairs because there is a gate type thing on the side of the top of the stairs that he could just fall off.....and if we put a baby gate in his room, he will climb over it. so if anyone has any advice or ideas, i would appreciate it so very much

Thank You and God bless

startmycomotose

Asked by startmycomotose at 12:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could you just close the door?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It seemms kinda early to move him into a big boy bed...do you have to do that? Most kids stay in a crib a little longer...You could always cloe the door, or they sell taller gates...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 12:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Wait to do a "big boy" bed until he's old enough to understand how to climb down the stairs. My 18 mo old can crawl down stairs easily by himself. He also still sleeps in a playyard (for part of the night). I wouldn't worry about switching beds until at least 20-24 months.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• well yeah we could close the door but its a lever door knob and i cant get it any safety things for that kind of knob. and we are going to change over in about 6-7 months. and it a rent house so...we cant change the dorr knob out ......
    startmycomotose

Comment by startmycomotose (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My kids are all older now. My baby is 16 years old. My Daughters are 20 and 18. I had the same issues when my oldest was little.
    My Mother was a social worker at the time and she suggested I just wait till she was a little older maybe two years old. or until she started to climb out of her baby bed. which was the first thing she did. I swear she learned to climb before she did anything else.
    redneckmom777

Answer by redneckmom777 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• A year old is a bit young for a big boy bed. I would wait until you've started potty training. At least, that's how we did it with my daughter. We kept her in her crib until she was nearly done potty training before putting her in a big kid bed.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would keep him in the crib for now. Unless they learn how to climb out of the crib, there really isn't anything wrong with leaving them in the crib until 3 years old.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• get a taller gate like previous poster said. Try to find one that has vertical bars so it would be hard for him to climb up.
    Karmawolf

Answer by Karmawolf at 11:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010