College??

I got a new job a month ago. I've heard from a few different people that my boss does not and will not work around school classes. I was hired full time & wanted to change to part time or casual--but i cant do that unless there is an opening for it? other wise there is on-call status too. Financially we can afford it b/c i get close to 3,000 in excess funds back every 11-15wks while in school. What do you think i should do? How would i got about asking or telling my boss this?

ashyy

Asked by ashyy at 12:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in

• I would simply ask your boss about it and see what he/she says! If he/she refuses, I'd quit and try doing something else. I think a work at home business like Mary Kay would be great for you while you're in school, you'd have plenty of customers around you with the other students! If you're interested in learning more, just let me know! With Mary Kay, I earn 50% on everything I sell and get to hang out with the girls and have fun, spend time with my family, work whichever hours I want, and earn money while doing it!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 12:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Thank you! its just difficult..cuz no one told me anything until i started to work there! my husband says if i do get enough in excess funds for us to make it w/o me working, i can do that. Im doing jordan essentials--its like bath & body//spa stuff..i love it..but i havent sold much..just to my mom.
    ashyy

Comment by ashyy (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I've never heard of jordan essentials. Is like like Mary Kay where you have a catalog you hand out? I think talking to your fellow classmates about it and just handing out books would be a good idea to help you earn some extra cash. Since I don't know much about the company, I'm not sure if you can make a living out of selling their products (how much do you make from each sale?) but if you decide that it's not something you can make a living from, feel free to contact me for more information about Mary Kay. It's easy to sell because it has such a great reputation!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 3:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Go to your boss with all the details, explain the situation and ask if you could change to what you want to do.
    Good luck!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 4:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i start classes on 10/4/2010. i have 3 online classes this quarter, im not sure if i'll need to go to campus come january quarter or not, but if i do i'll need to talk to my boss and see what i can do.
    ashyy

Comment by ashyy (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Start by setting an exemplary record. Make yourself irreplaceable. Don't complain at work (or to coworkers off-duty). Get there on time and leave on-time. Be willing to volunteer to step in for something. Make sure to really be on task.

Then, a little bit closer to when you might need to go on campus for classes, mention to your boss that this is something you need. You'll have the good employee card in your hand and can assure your employer that your work ethic won't change, that you won't ditch work for school, and that all you need is a reduction in hours.

Good luck.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You just accepted a new full-time job even though you knew classes would be starting? You should have been upfront and honest with your employer right from the start. I wouldn't be surprised if what you're describing is why he is unwilling to work around student schedules - he probably had negative experiences, like this one, in the past.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 10:43 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My classes for on campus will not be starting until april, i can do mostly online classes right now, until then. I have not worked since last wednesday, due to illness.
    ashyy

Comment by ashyy (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Good Luck!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 3:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010