• In the Spotlight:

Benefits of grandparents?

We have lived far away from familyever since our children were born, and we were thinking of moving to Florida, where our parents live. What are the benefits you have from living near your family? What role do they take in your life?

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 12:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• When my Kids were small my parents would let the kids spend the night and give us a break ever now and then. Which really helped us because we had a daughter with a seizure disorder just like the one I had as a child. So my parents were already exsperianced with the diease and they knew what to do. Now I am a Grandma and I do the same with mine. Except my Grandchildren are not disabled. It really helps you having grandparents near because they can help when you feel over whelmed and exhausted just from caring for small children everyday.
    redneckmom777

Answer by redneckmom777 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If you have parents like mine...(well my mom and step dad) then its not worth it! They go over everything I tell them I don't want done and just ignore the way i want my kids raised...
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I honestly have no idea. lol

My son's entire life (He's grown and left home for college now) his paternal grandparents have lived out of the country, and his maternal grandparents have lived over 2k miles away.. So neither set have ever really been supper involved with our daily lives/daily activities and such..

I haven't lived close to my family in nearly 30 years now, and my it's been over 20 for my husband.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• You get to see them grow up. You can help the parents -They are all so busy -If they work you can help the parents by getting them to the kid activities and enjoy the activity your selves.
    Redbird26

Answer by Redbird26 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It depends on your situation. But in a normal situation, there are family dinners and extra help with the munchkins when things happen. I live very close to my grandson, and he spends time at my house when his parents work and we do birthdays together and holidays together. I have different activities at my house than his. If he's sick and can't go to school, someone is always able to pitch in and handle it. And my dd is very young, they are very close in age, so they play together very well. There are cousins, aunts, uncles, and lots of other people around for him to love and be loved by. If he needs an ear to bend, there is someone close by. Just make sure there is a balance, there are times when everyone feels like they are being asked to do too much. Even parents and grandparents. So take time to talk to each other as adults and respect each others boundaries so there are no hurt feelings.
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 7:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• OMG... It was the opposite, we moved from FL to DE... It was the best move we ever made.... to be by my parents! They are SO involved with our children... my mother has thanked me a million times.... my Dad is Co-coach for my son's basketball team; they help me out a lot~ I'm bipolar and need extra care. They are thrilled we are so close. They LOVE having their grandchildren just a door away. No regrets.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 1:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry I can't answer this, because my family is simply NOT a supportive one. But here is a bump for you, Mama!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:38 AM on Oct. 11, 2010