Do you think people who are against public health care should be allowed to send their kids to public schools?

All I've been hearing lately about Obama's health plan is how it's moving us into Socialism. I'm curious why to some people public education (education paid for by your tax dollars and regulated by the government) isn't Socialist but health care provided that way is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• cont...Insurance was given as an employee benefit rather than a raise to help prevent inflation. Prior to this most people paid out of pocket for their medical expenses. It is interesting to me how we quickly went from paying out of our own pockets, to having our employers pay for it, to expecting our government to pay for it.
    Anonymous

• Because public school is paid for by my property tax - I have say over which school I want to pay for by picking where to live. It's also controlled by a local ELECTED school board - which I can vote for and attend oodles of meetings to express my own opinions directly to the powers that be. The public school budget is put for a vote each year (at least in my community) giving me and fellow tax payers a say over HOW our money is spent.

On the other hand, public healthcare will come from a federal tax levy. There is no talk of a board elected by the people to over see it's administration, nor is the expenditures or allocations of tax dollars to be put for a vote.

Please, let's stick to comparing apples to apples. can we please?
    Anonymous

• LMAO! I'm just going to sit and watch.
    zianneaaliyah

Answer by zianneaaliyah at 2:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Please, let's stick to comparing apples to apples. can we please?

I asked a simple question looking for real answers. I didn't ask for your bitchiness. I totally appreciate your reasoning and your answer but your attitude is totally unnecessary!! This is why people are starting to hate Republicans... you all believe you have the right to be ass holes.
    Anonymous

• Who said I was a Republican?

let me understand - you're making a comparison between two totally different things and I can't point out that...BUT can tell assume my political allegiance and tell me I'm an ass for asking the question? Nice.

For what it's worth, I'm not registered with any party. I'm an independent and I've undecided to date. But you go ahead and stick with your assumptions.
    Anonymous

• Why not? It isn't like our kids have rabbies! And I think we know to keep them home if they're really sick.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Dems aren't assholes? just wondering!
    Anonymous

• let me understand - you're making a comparison between two totally different things and I can't point out that...BUT can tell assume my political allegiance and tell me I'm an ass for asking the question? Nice.

No... I asked a question because I was unsure of the difference. I didn't say one was right or one was wrong, I asked a simple question. As I said I appreciate your answer and in fact knowing a little more can see your point I just didn't feel your bitchiness was necessary. Fine, maybe you're not a Republican, but you're coming across like all the high and mighty I know more than you and therefore you're not worth my time Republicans I've met here. There are a good number of people who want to make informed decisions when it comes to the issues in this election but apparently you feel they should feel too intimidated to ask questions and become informed. Nice yourself.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first responder. You're talking about two completely different programs. One is a federal program with no mechanism for voter input. You have no say what your contribution is. You have no say how your money is to be spent - what type of medical insurance is offered, what is included in coverage, etc. You have no say in who gets the job of administering the program. Public schools, on the other hand, are paid for by local taxes. A school board oversees the schools but YOU can vote for the school board. You can attend local board meetings and have your say. You vote on major referendums impacting schools (We just voted for full day vs half-day Kindy and the building to house it for example.) and you typically vote for budget. It's a 'government' institution but it's much more democratic in it's execution and a federal bureaucracy is.
    amewri

Answer by amewri at 3:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Dems aren't assholes? just wondering!

Of course they are, I've met a bunch of those too, they just tend to want to inform and educate when someone asks an honest question.
    I'm guessing that after the people I've met here Repub and Dem I doubt I'll ever find a party affiliation I feel comfortable with.
    Anonymous