Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

can someone help me understand? PLS!

I want to get a YMCA membership for myself, and my 2 yr. old daughter. I can't afford the full price so I was going to apply for financial aid. I cant qualify for financial aid because my daughter, myself, and my fiance live with his parents. The lady who reveiwed my app. asked, i have proof that i own my home (no) I have proof of rent payed (no, we dont pay a set rent or anything and 3.Who do we live with and what is their income (none of her bussiness, or mine, since his parents live on their income, and us on ours. But my fiance only makes $250 a week. Not even close to enough to be able to comfortably pay for a membership, because we pay our own bills, buy our food, pay our car insurance and so on. What can I do now? Im confused on what the YMCA wants fromm me here. I should be able to get the aid I need, should I not?

Answer Question

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 5 (78 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Do y'all pay anything to his parents for living there. Even if it is not the same amount every month y'all still pay rent to them so they are considered roommates. Did she tell you that you are denied for help? If not then apply and see what happens.

    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • I would ask to see a different reviewer and give her the info and then ask why it is you do not qualify. Maybe it is just a matter of bringing in a pay stub or something like that. Never hurts to dig deeper and inquire. It sounds to me like you would definitely qualify and the whole problem may have been the person you worked with the first time.

    Answer by thismamacooks at 12:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • She didnt say that I was denied but said that with my "unusual way of life" it would be very hard to qualify since I have no documentaion to prove anything I pay to live here. And we don't REALLY pay to live here, but give them whatever they need to help pay bills each month, the amount is always different, but still we have no documented proof of this because the bills are not in our name, we just give them the cash to help pay them.

    Comment by tiffers32788 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • Wow!

    Answer by emilysmom1966 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • Well, your husband should have some proof of income- a pay stub, a check stub, a direct deposit slip. You can get your parents to write you up a receipt for "rent". Even if you don't actually pay them, they can write something up so you have some sort of proof. I would explain to her that you don't know how much they make, and it's really none of your business- but you have proof of your income, and proof of rent paid. That should be enough!

    Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 1:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • So you want something you can't afford and can't get it for free? Welcome to life.

    Answer by Pnukey at 1:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • No, Pnukey, I want something that will help myself get in shape and live a healthier life. And a way to socialize my daughter while doing something she enjoys. Thanks.

    Comment by tiffers32788 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • I agree with anabell, have you parents in laws writ up a reciept or agreement that you pay rent...approximate what you pay a month. Then provide them with your income statements and tell them you have no idea what you "landlords" make in income.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • If you qualify you should be able to get it, although they will need to have proof of income and other sources.

    Answer by QandA at 3:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • Pnukey.......was your response really necessary?

    OP.....All they really need to know is your annual income. If it falls below a certain point, then you should qualify.

    Answer by sherribeare at 3:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.