Ear Infection Signs? Please HELP!

My daughter has been so fussy for the past two days now. She had a little cough and runny nose last night. I can tell she is not feeling all that great.

I just found out her neice (who spent the weekend with us) has a bad ear infection. I have never even had an ear ache (neither has my mom or siblings) so I don't know what an ear infection is like.

How can I tell if she is coming down with the same thing?

rcbrown

Asked by rcbrown at 2:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My understanding is that ear infections are often a secondary infection. in other words, you don't 'catch' an ear infection from being near someone that has one. You catch a cold which may or may not further develop into an ear infection depending on opportunistic bacteria or viruses. But, I'm not a medical professional and I could be really wrong. ;) Point is, your daughter could just be sick with a cold.

Ear infection symptoms? Is she pulling at her ear? Is it worse at night when she lays down?

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Also, it's worth noting that some ear infections are viral and therefore resolve themselves. If she has a fever or if the cough and cold seem to linger or if there's indication her ear is bothering her (pulling at it, for example) then make a doctor's appointment. The only *real* way to tell is to have the doctor look in ear.

Sometimes there are no direct symptoms.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• First of all, ear infections are NOT contagious! Symptoms include pain when laying down, if they are older, pulling at the ear. fever. crankiness. They typically follow a cold or other type of infection and develop b/c of the remaining fuild in the ears not draining properly. My daughter typically had no symptoms. We'd catch them at well visits or follow ups from bad cold visits. Like previous poster said, the only *real* way to tell is for the doc to look at the ear.
    Anonymous

• when my son had his ear infection he had a fever and wouldnt lay down. he was grabbing his ear alot and i noticed the inside of his ear looked a little red... but the only true way to tell is by making a drs appt....
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2008