What you do/dont celebrate & why?

Im starting to notice that alot of Christians (and other religions) dont celebrate certain things. So I have to ask Why?
(I am going to post a series of questions after this detail this question, since I know your answers cant be too long)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hubby and I are Pagan, we celebrate the Wheel of the Year (the 8 holidays that correspond with the quarter and cross quarter days)...our families are various denominations of Christian...so we celebrate alot of mix and match holidays.

We include alot of the secular acoutrements (Santa, etc), because they are fun and harmless, and kid oriented...and there is no real justification for being a Scroodge. We are careful to separate cultural holidays from their corresponding religious holiday though--like Halloween and Samhain.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My big thing is Santa. I hate Santa. My kids don't get presents from him at all. We don't talk much about him either. They say they want Santa to bring them things, and I just smile. I told them the story of St. Nicholas and what he did and that is where Santa Claus came from. But I find the entire Santa thing very offensive, I don't worship a man in a red suit. (and I'm a really bad Christian...so I wonder what a more faithful person than me thinks about Santa?)
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• To answer my own question: We celebrate halloween-we dress up, decorate our yard almost to the point of a haunted house, hand out candy. (My dd was also born on halloween! lol) Christmas- I loved believing in santa growing up. I loved the magic of it all! We do the Easter bunny. Hunt Eggs. The only thing we dont really do is go to church. Id love to! But we have never found a good church. :( We are going to try out another one after Oct. is over!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2008