Do you or would you read your childs journal?

mommajenjen

Asked by mommajenjen at 2:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• no. it is their private thoughts. It is a violation of privacy to read it. If my child wants to talk to me about something, they will.
    Anonymous

• I want to say NO. Id never do that. My diary was read growing up. And I got to where I wouldnt write the things I REALLY needed & wanted to write down... Or I just started to use certain words to mean other things... and now as an adult I get confused when reading my younger diaries (i still keep a diary as an adult).. Did I really wrestle with my BF, or did we do something "else"... Did we go to bed early at a friends? or did i mean to say sneak out?

But... I must say I dont know who my child will be in the future (DD is 2) If I find it important to her well being to read it, I will.. anything else I may find out i wont hold against her. If shes sneaking out every weekends at Jannies house.. I wont stop her from going over there. (I snuck out alot as a kid--I know.. Its not as bad as it seems! we never got into trouble! Just wanted a few more hrs with friends!!!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• No, I wouldn't read it unless I felt like she was hiding something from me that could be harmful to herself or others.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 7:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My initial response to this question would be...only if there was a reason for concern. However, in a recent random search, which we do in our household to find missing assignments and notes from teaches and things like that, I stumbled across some loose sheets of paper my DD had been writing on. I was going to overlook them but when she saw them in my hand she panicked. Her actions were a bit alarming so I read the papers. The contents did need to be discussed. I'm glad we found the notes because what I read showed me that she was misguided about some things.
    jelly509

Answer by jelly509 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• OK, like the other posters I too would love to say NO! but the truth is I probably would. But even more saddening than that is that I would be totally floored if either of my boys at this age (or ever) wrote in a diary or journal. It is more than enough just to get them to put pencil to paper for homework it doesn't seem like a leisure activity for them. Sidenote: due to other issues in our lives my kids do see a counselor regularly perhaps that is also why a journal is not a necissity???
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 7:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• we work on them together and we have sharing time when we share what we wrote and talk about whatever issues are in there. and sometimes we do theme writing where we write sotries or whatever and then read them it encourages creativity and confidence in knowing she wont get in trouble for whats in there
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Yes. my daughter wouldn't talk to me or tell me anything.And when she did it was a lie.so I did read her diary.I just didn't tell her.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• If I was worried about one of my children in particular or concerned I was being lied to, then I might. I know I'm not opposed to it ethically. They are still kids and it's my job to keep them out of trouble when possible.
    tomsbride

Answer by tomsbride at 5:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2008