Would you trust a man (who is not your husband or the father of your children) to watch your kids?

My counselor once said it's risky to allow any man to watch my child. Even if you know them well enough. Would you trust a man you know very well to watch your child?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Sure. Gender doesn't make for a good sitter. There are just as many women out there would shouldn't watch children as men, and just as many men who would be fine with kids as there are women...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Um...yeah.
    My BIL watches him, my neighbor watches him, and a good personal male friend watches him.

I'm so sick of this attitude that "if it has a penis, it much be evil"
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Exactly what I said. I told her that I don't trust my mother-in-law to watch my kid because she has a history of abuse. She smashed my husband's shoulder blade once, and hit the oldest grand kid. So she certainly isn't trustworthy and she's a woman! Imagine that!
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Maybe if it was family...besides that, no. Of course I don't let women watch my kids either. I do think women are more nurturing, though, and ould probably do a better job. JMO
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 1:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yes
    My husband watched my son before we were married. And he watches him now. Why would being married change that. As a matter of fact, with thinking like that--look how many bio fathers molest their own children. Look how many bio moms sell and/or molest their own children as well. It's sad that this happens, but if it is somene you know and trust, I think it's ok to let them watch your children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yes, I have several male friends and relatives that I trust with my kids - not to mention the teenage boy I've had as a babysitter. I really don't buy into the mindset that all men are secretly pedophiles who are just waiting for the chance to molest my kids. In fact I have more trust for some of my male friends than I do for my youngest sister to take good care of my kids. Not that she'd purposely do anything to hurt them, but she's just not overly responsible.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I do think women are more nurturing, though, and ould probably do a better job. JMO

They're also hormonal and can fly off the handle just because they're on their period. I know that sounds insulting and sexist but it's true.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• would depend on who it is and how long i'v known them. she loves hanging out with grandpa or her uncle and i trust them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't think gender has anything to do with trust. I think it matters if you know the person well-enough to know that they won't do anything to harm your child and would rather die protecting them. That's the kind of person you should trust. Whether it's man or woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Oh yes I would. My brother's friend is one of them. He is a father himself(he is 23) and is great with his DD who is the same age as my DD. My brother also has watched my DD.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2010