Celebrate Halloween?

Do you celebrate Halloween? Why/Why Not?
Do you celebrate something else on 10/31 & give it another name? Why Why not?
What does halloween stand for, for you?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hear so much about how Halloween is about satan and celebrating evil.... If you want to make such comments you should at least research and be informed before you speak. so lets be enlightened shall we....if you are gaelic it is a day celebrating the end of the harvest season or otherwize called the celtic new year, if you are pagen it is a day to honor the dead, if you are wiccan you are celebrating Samhain, and is considered as a time to celebrate the lives of those who have passed on, and it often involves paying respect to ancestors, family members, elders of the faith, friends, pets and other loved ones who have died. If you are Christian All Souls' Day commemorates the faithful departed. either way you celebrate it is nothing more then a day to remember and celebrate the lives of those who are no longer with us. what is so evil and bad about that???
    StarrAngel

Answer by StarrAngel at 6:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• *sigh* Another Halloween question. I understand what you are trying to do but I get tired of these questions.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 2:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes, we "celebrate" Halloween. We focus on the fun stuff like trick or treating and carving pumpkins (which I guess is more "harvesty"). We leave the scary stuff behind because my boys are too young and it's not something we want to focus on. Our church also has a Harvest Party that weekend filled with the typical activities (apple dunking, costumes, candy, etc). Halloween is just a fun night where we spend time as a family. There isn't anything deeper than that. We like candy and we like having fun. There isn't anything spiritual in nature about it (positive or negative), we stick with the simplicity, innocence and fun that Halloween can hold.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 3:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yup I'm all for celebrating commercialization! LOL
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I don't "celebrate" halloween. However our church does have a free community outreach event. Before they did this... I did give out candy.. sometimes with tracts some times without. Some Christians don't believe in doing anything on October 31st. I do not feel any condemnation or conviction from God about it and feel like as a Christian we are to be out letting our lights shine at all times.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Halloween to us is carving pumpkins getting dressed up and going trick or treating. This year my husband is trying to talk me into finding a church that does a festival but that's not going to happen, I do it strictly for the fun and the candy.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• This year i have decided not to celebrate Halloween. I learned that Halloween is celebrating death and evil. I want my son to celebrate life. I don't want to give my son the wrong message, only because just about everyone celebrates, it doesn't mean is right. I plan to buy him costumes throughtout the year so he can play dress up and use his imagination.
    Latinamami

Answer by Latinamami at 4:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We celebrate Halloween the good ole' fashion way by covering our house with spooky but fun (not Satanic) decor and giving out candy. We're devoted Christians, but we seen nothing wrong in celebrating a (as KristiS11384 put it) commercialized holiday!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 4:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• StarrAngel THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! For explaining that so wonderfully!!!
    Halloween is what you make of it!. You can say its for the devil/sat. You can say its an evil day. or you can just say its a day adult/kid alike get to dress up & have a lil fun.

For us, we have always enjoyed Halloween! Our yard is the spookiest around! And we all dress up & make a game of it. Its a day that if your 1 or 100 you can play dress up! You get to walk around dressed up, skip, sing funny songs, knock on strangers door & they will give you CANDY!

Kids LOVE to dress up! So I always feel bad for those that cant celebrate halloween. Cause the one day ALL your friends dress up in their best costume & have fun doing it in the streets, you are taught its WRONG & your family denies you that fun!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We celebrate Samhain and set honored places for our beloved dead. We trick or treat for fun and leave a meal at the crossroads.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 1:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2008