BEING AN ONLY CHILD

i wasnt an only child but im the youngest so i was the only one living with mygrandparents...i was lonely a lot of time..i said if i have baby i wanted each to have some one to talk to an play with..i have 15&13..then i had 5&2 so each had someone to grow up with

for those who were an only child..were u lonely alot of times?
an how did affect as far as having children?
did u decide to have 1 or more cause of this?

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I was very lonely! I remember as a kid a month or two before Christmas I wanted a toy that I saw on TV and my instant next thought was, "What for? I'll never have anyone to play with it with. It'll just sit there like everything else". I quit wanting and liking toys. I was often left alone in front of the TV while my grandmother did her chores and my mother was at work. I used to beg my mother for a little brother. I knew I wanted to be a wife and mother since I was three and I wanted a BIG family. I had decided on having 13 kids. LOL!!! Then, later when I found out how we have babies I decided that I wanted 7 kids. Still LOL!!! Then, when I realized the financial part of raising a family I decided I wanted 4 kids which is what I will have. I wanted to have all of them about two years appart so that they would be close enough in age that they could grow up and play well together. I have three boys. (cont.) --->
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have 5 brothers and sisters, but was raised as an nly child by my grandparents (diff dads) I was very happy, and not lonely! But I am having my 5th child, so dont know anout if that is why!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I was an only child. I didn't like kids my own age, I found them immature and silly. I ended up spending a lot of time with older kids (at least 2 or 3 years older) I wouldn't have called myself lonely. I simply preferred the company of adults and older kids. I chose to have only one. For me one is the right number. I have more time, energy, and money to devote to him. He isn't spoiled, but he is well loved. I definitely don't think having only one is selfish or damaging to them. Some children need someone to play with, others are capable of using their imaginations and making friends on their own.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 1:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• thats is true..i did an still do hang with old ppl..but i never related it to being the only @ home..
    but i did feel lonely when snow days,late night thunderstorms..when it came to sharing my fears,dreams,or things that happ at that moment..their was no one i could share them with at that moment..
    i had a lot of friends it just wasnt the same for me...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm an only child and yes there were times I wished for a baby brother or sister but I don't resent my parents in any way or feel bad about my childhood because of it. I had friends so I was only lonely whenever they couldn't play lol. I have 3 and I'm so happy because I love my big family, and my kids are all girls and get along great for the most part. It's really awesome to see them grow up with eachother and have that sisterly bond that I never had.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i'm an only child and i never had a problem with it growing up. to this day, i'm still okay with it.
    i had a bunch of friends, so i never got lonely. i always had a friend at our house.
    right now, we only have one child. i'm perfectly happy with just the one. i dont know if that's because i was an only child or if it's due to the fact that he's a very active boy and keeps me so busy. lol
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 1:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• ive have heard it ,..from kids now that i just wondered how alot of moms thought about now that they have kids..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i'm not an only child, but so far ds is. He's only 2.5 and i'm 29, so there is still a chance I'll ttc in the near future. I'd ideally like 2 children about 3-4 years apart. From the looks of it, having one child is how things will be. We are on a tight budget and overqualify for assistance so it would be really hard on us with baby #2. I hate that money is the dominant reason to have an only child, but that's just how it is. If ds does end up an only child (and i'd feel blessed either way), I dont think he'd be lonely. Even only at 2.5 he makes friends easily and I always set up playdates. He is independent but i always make sure he gets the attention any child would like.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• (cont.) ---> My first and second are one day short of 25 months appart and they play well together. My second and third are about 13.5 months appart and he, my third, just started crawling. His older brothers do try to play with him. It's so cute. They're wonderful and I'm so very happy to have them. I'ld like a girl too but even if I end up having four boys I will be happy. It's so much better to have more than one.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• thats pretty much how i felt..tho i can make friends pretty well.it still wasnt the same as sharing it with a sibiling at home..an my kids each experience what i couldnt..i get so many only kids who are school age tell me bout this..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010