Celebrations of Christmas/ Santa

Do you celebrate Christmas? Why/whynot?
Do you let your kids believe in Santa? why/Why not?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We do all of the above. We focus on the Christ aspect of course, but we do Santa and the tree and presents.... I figure kids are kids once, and some of my fondest childhood memories concern Santa.... I don't think my children will hate me for my "lies" later in life.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes, we celebrate Christmas. No we don't "believe" in Santa. Our holiday's main focus is on the birth of Christ. That's our top priority. Santa isn't bad but we aren't into fairy tales...my boys know all about the real St. Nicholas but know that this dress up, commercialized guy is just pretend. And we let him into our holiday on that premise. We do the presents, the tree, the goodies but really focus on the Christian meaning and family importance. It's a good balance.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 3:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• we don't keep Christmas b/c it was not the day Christ was born. Christmas was just institued by the catholics in the 1800'ds. Christ was born around the Feast of Tabernacles which depending on the jewish calendar would fall between Sep and Oct not Dec 25th. Also the tree was decorated by the peagans as omige to the Sun God, not the Son of God.
    Anonymous

• We celebrate Christmas in a commercialized sense. My kids are a little young to believe in Santa so I'll let them decide the direction on whether or not it plays out for believing in Santa.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes we celebrate Christmas, it is one of our favorite holidays and yes my girls still believe in Santa Claus and I will let them for as long as they want. They love getting up Christmas morning and seeing what Santa put in their stockings.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes.. we celebrate Christmas and I try to focus on what it means to me (the birth of Christ) and not on the commercialization. And yes for those who will say it, I know December 25th is not the actual day of Christ's birth but it's the day we recognize that we use to celebrate His birth. As far as Santa goes.. when my son was younger (he's 20 now) i explained to him the true story of Saint Nicholas and how it changed into todays Santa.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We celebrate Christmas as a special family day, but my spiritual day of celebration is reserved for Yule and the Feast of Epona.
    Our kids are too old for Santa but they used to believe in him. Either that or they were humoring us.

Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 3:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Hey...I still get gifts from Santa...and as long as they keep on comming, I keep believing...lol

We celebrate Yule rather than Christmas at home, Christmas when we at the MIL's and Yule privately...and at my family's we celebrate Christmas and Yule on Christmas Eve.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We do celebrate Christmas as a family day and exhange gifts. We also celebrate Yule and have a sunrise ritual outside if we can. My kids are teens now , they used to believe in Santa Clausewhen they were younger
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• the way i feel about it is that if Jesus actually wasn't born on dec 25 and thats why you dont celebrate it you wold use the same excuse if it was moved to sometime between sep & Oct.. who knows the actual bday?? its not a logical reason to not celebrate. if you didn't know your actual bday wouldn't you want someone to still celebrate it with you sometime each year? i dont tell my son santas real or not. hes just assumed but now that hes older hes realizing that there cant be the same santa at each store!!
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008