How often do you put your baby down?

And how much do you hold him or her?

I hold my baby often, but sometimes I let her lay down on her own so I can get things done around the house.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Alot, unfortunately. But I have 2 other kids to take care of so my youngest doesn't get spoiled like my oldest did. She does get her special mommy time it's just not as much as I would like it to be. Instead, I put her in her playpen and let her watch her sisters play, or in the highchair and snack on her treats while I clean, cook or we all sit down to dinner, or let her crawl around before bedtime and interact with the whole family.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I always made a point to put my children down a good bit... I nursed, so I held them alot through that, and I have always rocked my kids to sleep. But I have always thought it was important for them to develop some independence from day one... I would lay them down under a gym or mobile and allow them to simply "explore" their world without me... Even as a newborn...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I divided it up about 50/50. I'd hold her and I'd put her in a bouncer so I could get some stuff done around the house. Sometimes, I'd spread blankets out on the floor with some toys and let her play. It helped her to build strength in her arms when she was trying push herself up.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• for her first 5 or 6 weeks my DD was held almost all the time unless she was sleeping but i had to stop doing that...my housework was piling up and making me crazy and depressed...so i started using the bouncy seat and swing more and if shes not in those then i just prop her on a pillow in the room im in or right in front of me so i can still talk to her and hear her sweet noises and make her smile : ) all babies are diff but i really feel like most of the time she would prefer it that way...and i dont rock her to sleep...i rock her til she is sleepy and drowsy and that has taught her to self-soothe and put herself to sleep...because ive done that, i can just lay her in her crib after her bottle at bedtime and she is asleep within 15 or 20 min, sometimes less...same way with her swing because sometimes she naps in it
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• she's lying on the couch next to me, just dosing off. she doesn't really care when i'm not holding her. she'll just look around at stuff if i need to get things done
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We never even used the phrase put the baby down (to some people that means put the baby in a bed to sleep).  When my kids were babies car seats didn't have handles and it was difficult to remove them and carry them. So people held their infants. I had a sling and got things done with my oldest two in a sling. When my youngest was born my leg was paralyzed during the birth. My husband filed for divorce the next day. We lived in a trilevel house and I couldn't walk. I used a wheelchair on the main level and used a wrap to hold him on my chest/lap. On the bedroom floor I scooted and dragged him on a blanket. I had a little bed next to my bed for him. My 8 & 5 yo helped.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I never made a point to be contantly holding my kids.  I held them when I was feeding them and would play with them a bit each day but otherwise they were on the floor or doing something else.  Right now my 2 month old is lying on his blanket in the middle of the floor and sucking on his hand.  I was feeding him and he fell asleep so I put him down to finish what I was doing before he decided he wanted to eat.  He still has half a bottle left to finish (which I assume he now wants so I have to go finish feeding him).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• tried letting her fall asleep on her own just put her in her crib and walk away yes she will cry but she will finally fall asleep
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My babies are held almost 24/7 for the first few months. I wore (or wear) them in a wrap or sling during the day, nurse them and we sleep in the same bed. They do get time on the floor etc. but they spend 95% of the first few months in my arms, or my husbands.
    My older two were crawling by 5 months, so then they were on their own a lot more. My youngest is only 7 weeks, so she's still held non stop.

I love it : )
    Randi02

Answer by Randi02 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• For the first 3 months DD was held 24/7. In a wrap or sling or she nape on my chest while I worked in my home office.

Now that she is interested in tummy time she has play time a lot more. But I wear her around the house on my back because she likes it and I like it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010