About hoarders...as a disease/problem/ particularly repetitive, do you know anyone?

This is ongoing. My real problem with living with a hoarder is the insecurity ingrained in their ego. Hoarders are not curable. My d/h is one. Each time I take out stuff to donate, or get out for space and just for a clean home in respect of the children.... he'll go right out and get more crap to build up a huge collection of extra things we never ever ever use. He's kept stuff for 15 yrs that's never been touched. Huge curtain rods which are always falling out of the closets, very dangerous if it hit any person in their eyes, face. We don't have window that big. Other things that never get used, just using up space and being useless. This week is my toss week. His stuff goes out and then comes back a year later. (just sitting)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i was watching Hoarding and this woman actually got a restraining order on her husband for trying to clean, not even trying to get rid of stuff, just trying to clean. it really is a serious mental illness and it's tragic cause they don't realize how much they are hurting the ppl who care about them
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• my nana didnt have a disasterous house like the ones on the show, but she did own many things. she's twice married and had many unopened wedding gifts, she saved a lot of her old clothes, and many old items sat around in the same place for decades. she had to move to an assisted living facility and my mom and aunt had to clean everything. It was so overwhelming! Mom mailed me a ton of stuff because she has no room in her apartment. thankfully it was things she asked me about first.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would not put up with it, and risk having my children removed from the home. That is a deal breaker. I understand this can be an illness, but for him to refuse help is a deal breaker.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2010