New glucose blood test procedure?

I got my glucose blood test today and I was very surprised that I didn't have to keep drinking that super sweet drink.All I had to do was drink a small bottle of it and then they took samples of my blood every hour for 3 times.If I had knew it was like this I would of gotten one sooner.I was scared of having to keep drinking that stuff and I was worried about how it was going to affect me.I wasn't sick or anything and that was another reason I was afraid to take the test.Has anyone taken this test or another?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 3:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Health

• I had that one. although it did make me sick... I ended up being borderline though.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'm so glad you had it done and was easier then you thought it was going to be!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I did the one where you fast and drink one nasty drink and wait for three hours. And be poked ever hour. I got sick. and had to drink it again. found out i needed meds to control my sugar while prego.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 3:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I guess it works,else they wouldn't do it.I thought the whole purpose of the test was to see how well you were able to tolerate glucose,sugar.Drinking it one time,didn't have a bad effect on me.After the drink I felt good but I was apprehensive about the next drink-it was 9;25 am and the next drink,or so I thought was at 10;25.So I was worried about how I would feel after that,but I felt good.Then at 10;25 they just drew blood and so on.The other test,I drank glucose every hour,in a small cup and they tested my blood every hour.Wondering why they changed tests.I kinda think,it's less time consuming,everyone is in such a rush these days and doctors offices are more crowdeder than ever.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 3:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I was feeling good,so I thought what happens if the test doesn't prove anything is wrong with me.So I got up and walked a bit and then I started feeling weak in my legs and disoriented,the typical symptoms I have with my illness.I can be fine,during a fast as long as I don't walk or do anything.I already knew that,but because I had the sugar,glucose--I thought that would give me energy,not like a fast.I already know that when I'm hungry and weak,I need more than sugar to survive,but because I was sitting the whole time,I wasn't weak or anything.So it's good I got up and walked.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 3:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'm feeling sick as a dog now.2 hours after the procedure,I got home ate breakfast and a few things and I thought I was back to my normal self.I decided to go out for a walk and that's when it hit me.Half way out on my walk I start to feel sick,got a bad stomach ache and had mild feelings of wanting to throw up.The feelings are stronger now at home,all I want to do is lay in bed and rest.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 4:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• There are different drinks with various glucose, a 50 and a 100. The fifty tastes like a sweet orange soda, but the 100 tastes like you are drinking the syrup. I have both when I was pregnant. My doctor gives the 100 if you flunk the 50. It is the Glucose Tolerance Test and is used to check how your body handles sugar, it is normally done to check for gestational diabetes but the test is common for non-pregnancy to check for diabetes too.
    Cbous

Answer by Cbous at 8:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The kind they gave me was a lime soda,that tasted like lime jell-o.If anyone plans on getting one of these tests,make sure you drink alot of water the day before.The nurse says,this helps them stick the needle in your veins.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 4:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2008