what is cord blood banking?

I'm due with my second child in late jan/early feb and I was curious about it with my first, but the hospital then didn't offer that nor know much about it actually. Has anyone done this?

Laney3

Asked by Laney3 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• its where they take the blood from the amblicord and do research on it (its supposed to be diease free ect) and if u want to keep it for ur family it costs money but if u want to donate to research i believe it is free... thats all i can tell yea
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 3:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I wanted to do it but my family could not afford it. They take the ambilical cord and take the blood and put it in a special bag and freeze it for when you might need it.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 3:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• go to www.cordblood.com for more info.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 6:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yeah they freeze it and they say it can cure diseases. Like if the baby or anyone else in the family gets sick that blood could make them better.
    angela2805

Answer by angela2805 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• An unbiased and best resource on the Web for cord blood banking is at http://parentsguidecordblood.org It is a non-profit dedicated to educating parents about cord blood. Good luck.
    JennySmith123

Answer by JennySmith123 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2009