How can I put my dd back on track?

She is 7 yrs. old and in the 2nd grade she can read and write BUT you can tell she still needs work on it.
Like for example they were all learning words that end with ( ng ) like the word (sing) she spelled it like this (seing) I explained to her to slow down and sound it out she was getting frustrated with herself I told her to take a break and come back but when she came back she still felt bad. (which was making me feel alittle edgy with her) but I had to hide that :/ She tends to add another letter to the word she is trying to spell out correctly.
Or she can get the right letters in the word but has them mixed up. Thanks ladies for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try doing a line for each letter in the word she needs to spell each letter gets a line ( _ _ _ _) so for the word sing she would realize that she was using an extra letter. Some kids need to visually see what they are doing wrong. and by having the lines on the paper she would know and see what she was doing wrong as she gets better she will figure it out and by writing AND seeing how to write the word correctly she will learn it and remember it. I would also suggest you keep working with her on school breaks and vacations just 15-20 minutes a day does wonders
    G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I am not sure. You could ask her doctor if it's possible she has dyslexia, but I think this is pretty normal for her age. I don't have children that old yet but a friend of mine does and her daughter does almost the same thing.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Spend time everyday with her working on it. You could ask the teacher for her advice. It is something that needs to be done. GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Practice Practice Practice.

It isn't abnormal for her to be at this point in second grade. Mine is writing below grade level so it's a major concern for me. However his school has a special tutor session set up just for all second graders in writing and reading. Kids learn to write phonetically at first. If you look at her spelling of sing Seing it should be correct because she knows ing she is just sounding out the e sound. At this stage it is just a matter of learning that the letters, especially vowels, can sound differently in different words. The only way to get that is to just begin learning the weird words. English is a stupid language full of strange rules. It just takes some kids a while to grasp them. For sure ask her teacher for extra exercises.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• She just needs practice - both writing words and reading words, so that she'll get used to seeing them the right way. Have her help you write the grocery list. Encourage her to write letters to grandparents. Buy books for gifts. Spend time reading together. And practice her spelling lists with her too - both spelling them out loud and writing them on paper. It will work out, it will just take some time. Good luck!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010