I don't believe in lying to my children, but I also don't believe in giving info beyond their years

I said this to one of my coworkers and she said that didn't make any sense. Do you any of you do the same or plan to do the same with your chidren?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I agree with both of those premises. You don't have to lie to your children if you don't think they are ready for the full answer to a question, you can give them info at an age appropriate level, or simply tell them that they aren't ready for that info yet and you can discuss it as they get older.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i agree... like when a young child asks where babies come from you don't give them the whole story about sex and sperm and eggs :)

i try to keep answers simple or if I can't I just respond with "you're not old enough to know yet" that way I'm not laying, just withholding info
    Anonymous

• I have never lied to my kids (ok other than Santa, etc). When my son was 8 and my daughter 6 I came out of the closet. Even then I didn't lie, I told them that Mommy likes girls like a boyfriend/girlfriend kind of like. I didn't need to go into details of what that may or may not entail but I wasn't about to lie to them only to find out later and be mad at me. My daughter didn't really grasp the whole concept until she was older though- my son has always understood. I understand what you are saying though, there is many ways to explain something on a childs level.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes. I've even toyed with the idea of not telling my son about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, ect. I don't really know of any kid that hasn't believe in these at one point but I think I'll just feel funny lying like that. Not to mention nowadays its just used as blackmail..."if youre not good Santa wont come.." Ive always said I wanted to be open and honest with my children but I do believe that you have to draw a line somewhere when theyre young!! So I guess I'll just stick to the truth...without giving all the details.
    Anonymous