What is Obama's National Civilian Security Force for?

I stumbled across a reference to his plans to create a National Civilian Security Force as powerful as the military but couldn't find any info about what it would be for, who would staff it, or how it would be paid for. Does anyone know? Would be replace the police, FBI, and ATF? Would it be in addition to them?

I am asking in all honesty. Does anyone know what this would be for? Besides the speech where he stated he wanted to create this new organization, my searches for an answer have only uncovered people's upset guesses. Does anyone know?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/07/obamas_civilian_national_secur.html

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1216451854.shtml

Sounds like a police state to me. Don't be surprised if we must provide papers when traveling, if he is elected.

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 4:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• who knows! there goes more tax dollars.
    Anonymous

• Oh and who would control it and oversee it's use? That's been one of the problems with the ATF - they didn't have good oversight and became the "enforcement" tool for the President in the past. Not good. We don't need the President (any president) to have sole control of any police organization.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The name sounds like it would be a military force that would take over our current National Guard, but who knows? At the same time, it smells like something that Hitler created that the citizens jumped for and happy served that came to be an entity where people reported their own family and friends who dared speak against Hitlers policies. hummmm.....
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 3:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• A group of words taken out of context.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 3:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• FiveofaKind - I couldn't find a link to the entire speech - just excerts where he mentioned this organization. I wanted to see if (or how badly) this was taken out of context for myself but couldn't find it. Do you have a link to the entire speech?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Momtocccd - Thank you. Those were helpful. If that interpretation is right, I'm not sure that a new $585 billion a year program is needed but that's my opinion.

FiveofaKind - the second link from Momtocccd has the whole speech. Thank you if you were searching for me.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/16768499/detail.html?rss=den&psp=news
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I don't know how that could possibly be funded.
    Anonymous